Cousins prefer the Vikes?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by GimmedaBall, Feb 3, 2018.

1. TRW

TRW Registered

I think Minnesota will re-sign Teddy and maybe franchise Keenum if they can't come to an agreement. The HC loves Teddy and I think he still believes he's "their guy".

Jacksonville already committed to Bortles, or pretty much did.

Miami could move on from Tannehill and try to go for Cousins.

If Cousins wants the most cash, he goes to Cleveland.

If he wants a chance to win it all he goes to Denver.

2. WisconsinCard

WisconsinCard Herfin BIg Time Contributor

I can give you almost 50 million reasons why it won't happen this year, and 30 million reasons why it won't happen next year either. Detroit would have a dead cap hit of that much over the next two years and wouldn't be able to field a respectable team. They made that contract they'll have to live with it.

Solar7 and oaken1 like this.
  3. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse Chad's got nothing on me!

Niners just gave JimmyG almost 28 mil per year. Is Cousins worth that?

4. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

Cousins will want more than that. Easily.

5. juza76

juza76 Registered

Do u think they will satisfy his request?

6. Solar7

Solar7 Optimist

I was listening to NFL Radio earlier this week and one of their ex-GMs (name is escaping me) had a pretty decent point. Cousins isn't going to be able to individually set the market, the market's going to have to set itself for him. That perhaps teams will fail to compete for him at the level that is needed for him to make that kind of money. He was pretty insistent Cousins wouldn't break $30m per.

Clearly there's a while until this is resolved entirely, but I do wonder if he'll find less suitors willing to play ball at that number and will have to come down from it. I truly don't believe it's all about the money for Kirk either.

7. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

I don't believe Cousins will get more than Jimmy.

8. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

How's that possible? Cousins has better numbers in literally every category. His agent has so much ammunition now for a monster contract...there's no way they settle for what Jimmy G received.

9. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse Chad's got nothing on me!

$74 Mill guaranteed.

10. Arz101

Arz101 Registered

That's it? That is kinda, hmmm, cheap. no?

11. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

SF was going to have to put the franchise tag on Jimmy if they wanted him to stay. That elevates the money on the deal. He is also 26 years old. Which means you a paying him for future increases in production. He can sell that he is getting better. His stick is also higher than Cousins because no one around the NFL is saying that he is overrated.

Cousins is being let go by the Redskins for Alex Smith. That hurts his leverage. He is also 29. He has capped his production level in terms of negotiations. Also, unless the Browns drop the 28 mil per year, no one really has the money to offer him the type of deal that SF offered Jimmy. And with the Browns, the former GM of Washington was just added to their front office, and he is the guy who said there is nothing special about Cousins. Denver, Arizona, and Minnesota also have several high dollar players that they want to keep around in order to help Cousins.

cardncubfan and moklerman like this.
  12. juza76

juza76 Registered

How many wins cousins put in the table
    He put good numbers but in the end of the day he didnt bring his team at the next level
    Garappolo in a short span as soon as he got the starting job he lead his mediocre team to 6 win in a row

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    cardncubfan and Jetstream Green like this.
  13. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

Cousins is hitting the free market though, where teams will be bidding for him, at a time when many teams are QB hungry. Cousins will undoubtedly get more money than Jimmy G, and then Aaron Rodgers + Matt Ryan will use what Cousins gets as leverage to receive even more. Everyone is reporting that Cousins will now command $30M per year on the open market...when before it probably would've been around the $27-$28M range.

14. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

They also went from averaging 17 points a game to 28. But that might have something to do with their opponents when JG played. I haven't looked at their schedule.

15. daves

daves Keepin' it real! Contributor

I don't think this is relevant. Both players would be free agents if not tagged. If anything, the 49ers had much more leverage to tag Garroppolo, whereas the Redskins presumably will NOT tag Cousins, allowing him to freely seek whatever team will offer him the highest salary.

Comparing each player on a 5-year deal, Cousins' age won't be a factor. If we were comparing the players' value on 10-year deals, then indeed Cousins' age would work against him... but in the time frame for NFL deals to be signed and GMs to make or break their careers with a decision like this, age isn't really a factor.

Sure, but the flip side of this is that Garroppolo doesn't have much of a sample size to prove his durability or ability to continue performing at a high level vs. tougher competition, once other teams have more film on him in the 49er offense. Cousins' body of work probably counts for just as much as, if not more than, Garroppolo's theoretical potential to get even better.

Well if a team is convinced that Cousins is overrated or that Garroppolo has the potential to be better in the future than Cousins is now, then indeed that team won't pay as much for Cousins. But you're claiming that NO TEAM will pay more for Cousins than what Garroppolo got, which i still think is unlikely.

Come on now. Smith is the fallback plan for the Redskins, who blew their chance to sign Cousins long-term, and had to "let go" because they couldn't afford to tag him again and he no longer wants to play there long term. He's not being "let go" for performance-based reasons.

Well, i guess we shall see!

...dave