Cousins prefer the Vikes?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by GimmedaBall, Feb 3, 2018.

1. GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall Registered

Agree.

Cousins and/or agent is just trying to draw as many teams as possible into a bidding war for his services. The recent reports that Washington may put the franchise tag on him and do a trade only highlights that all parties are simply doing what they deem in their own best interests . . . even while it looks greedy or tacky to fans. The last thing on the priority list for either Cousins or Washington is the fan 'feelings' on the negotiating tactics when those tactics may net him an extra couple of millions in the bank.

Has Cousins even hinted that the Cards would be a team he might want to play for in 2018? By announcing his interest in the Vikes . . . he is also not announcing the lack of interest in some of the other teams who are QB-anxious.

Cousins left DJ and PP hanging in the wind after they went on national media and stated they would love to have him join the Cards.

So, guess where the hurt 'feelings' of Cardinal fans regarding his negotiating tactics fall on Cousin's Care Meter?

Mainstreet likes this.
  2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

As a fan, I'd rather the Cardinals move in another direction including drafting a QB for the long term.

Cousins is entitled to make the salary the market will bear but it doesn't mean the Cardinals should be the team to pay it.

IMO, he makes the Cardinals decision making process that much easier by expressing his interest in the Vikings even if he is trying to increase demand.

3. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

the lack of AZ mentioned as a possible suitor actually worries me. Everyone knows we are the team in direst need of a QB... there should be rumors galore about Cousins and the Cardinals.. but there aint... when you combine that with MB and SK's penchant for secrets??

4. crisper57

crisper57 Open the Roof!

Blake Shelton is on the Super Bowl pregame show. Instead of promoting the voice, he proclaimed his love for the Cardinals and made a personal plea to kirk cousins to come play for Arizona

5. pemory09

pemory09 Registered

I saw it...it was great to hear some Cards talk!

6. lorenzotexan

lorenzotexan Registered User

I'm glad to see cousins leaving Washington, but I think he is in a toxic situation there. he will do well somewhere else especially with a good run game. he would be a great pick up for the cards. For some reason I don't think the Vikings will sign him, but that would be a great fit if he were to go there.

7. SoCal Cardfan

SoCal Cardfan Registered

Cousins to a team that has 3 legitimate starting QB's?

Why the hell not? lol.

8. Gandhi

Gandhi Registered

I sort of have the same feeling, Mitch. I haven’t read anything about it, but I just think it would be logical if the Redskins had offered him a contract before they traded for Alex Smith. They are basically the same players, in my opinion, but Cousins has been with the organization for years. It would simply be easier for them, and probably also give them a better shot at competing right away, if they had kept him. For whatever reason Cousins didn’t sign the contract offer, and the Redskins grew tired of him and went on to door number two. I even think it’s likely that they have presented him with multiple contract offers through the last couple of years. At least that’s how I think it went down. Now, there can be many reasons why he hasn’t signed a long-term contract with them, and some of them have nothing to do with football, but I just find it a bit odd.

Some days ago, I heard this theory that money wouldn’t be that big of a deal to him, since every interested team will offer him a boatload of money. It would basically be a matter of a huge amount of money from one team, or a little more than that from another. The point behind the theory was that he would probably go to the team he liked the best, and thus not follow the money to the biggest contract. If that is true, I tend to believe Denver or Minnesota has the best shot to sign him, if they are even interested.

By the way, I think it should be noted that Kirk Cousins would, in my view, without a doubt be good enough to lead the Cardinals to great things if they surround him with very good players. As evidence we have just witnessed the Vikings, the Jaguars and the Eagles play in the Championship games with at best a little more than average quarterbacks. I am not saying either that I want them to sign him or that I don’t. Just that it would kind of be like taking the fast track to being competitive again.

Mitch likes this.
  9. moklerman

moklerman Rise from the Ashes III

Isn't that the catch-22 to that premise though? If a team goes out and spends draft picks and big FA money on a QB, how are they going to surround him with good players?

10. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

Yeah I saw that as well. Got to love Blake!

LoyaltyisaCurse and cardncubfan like this.
  11. Gandhi

Gandhi Registered

I get what you are saying, Mokler, and it could be a catch-22, but to me, it won’t necessarily be that.

One option to get around it would be to have a good team in place before signing the quarterback. I understand that the Cardinals have obvious holes in different positions, but I also think they have some of the best players in the NFL at other positions. Namely cornerback with Patrick Peterson, edge rusher with Chandler Jones and runningback with David Johnson. Two of those are considered premium positions. Then there are other potential playmakers like Markus Golden, Tyrann Mathieu and Larry Fitzgerald, and maybe even D. J. Humphries. I think they could make it work.

Then you can also draft well, as you mention. I have been very surprised with how little importance rookies has actually had to the most successful teams this season since rookies have been a somewhat decisive factor in the last couple of years. Going back to the Vikings and Eagles they have only had few of their rookies as big contributors. The Vikings have had third round pick center Pat Elflein as an important part of their offensive line and inside linebacker Ben Gedeon was a reliable player as well, but other than that they had nearly no contribution from rookies. The Eagles did get solid production from their first rounder, edge rusher Derek Barnett, as a rotational player on the defensive line but none other from their draft class did much of anything this season. Now, some rookies might have been very good on their special teams. I will admit that I don’t know that. By the way, I have excluded the Jaguars and the Patriots for various reasons. The Jaguars because they have had high draft picks in several years and thus have been able to select the biggest talents to surround quarterback Blake Bortles with. However, three of their rookies made huge contribution to their success this year. The Patriots is excluded because I think they are almost a two-man-show with Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski. None of their rookies did anything on the field this year anyway.

You also mention the money, and you are definitely right that the salary cap is very important to the teams’ success. That said, it is fairly easy to manipulate the salary cap, and the Cardinals have cap guru Mike Disner to do just that. Because of this, and in the most extreme scenario, a team could without problems sign all the three, five or seven most expensive free agents. Now, teams don’t want to do that because it becomes an almost insurmountable problem down the road, but the point is that the salary cap is a dynamic tool that allow teams to not let contracts have such a huge effect on their options as we fear as fans. The Cardinals would without a doubt be able to sign Kirk Cousins and at least one other rather expensive free agent. Keep in mind as well that it’s not that farfetched to think they will cut several of the players on their roster with the biggest contracts such as Mike Iupati, Jared Veldheer, Tyrann Mathieu, and of course Carson Palmer has retired, and thus free up some cap space.

My overall point is that there are in fact multiple ways that the Cardinals could sign or trade for a good veteran quarterback this offseason and realistically expect to be highly competitive next season.

12. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

Cardinals are high on the vegas betting odds, so we are in play. In terms of Cousins, if Minnesota wants him, they will get him. They offer more than most teams. If Jacksonville wants him, they probably get him as well.

I believe we match up well in terms of situations with Denver. We both have more talent on the defense, poor offensive lines, and some weapons on offense to work with.

Cleveland can offer the most coin.

The Jets have the most high profile market for his brand.

Gandhi likes this.
  13. Shane

Shane Current STAR Contributor

No they don’t 2 of 3 are unrestricted FAs

daves likes this.
  14. Arz101

Arz101 Registered

Cousins is maximizing his money making skill. What is the beef here?

15. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

I agree. Buffalo could end up in the discussion as well. Denver has John Elway pitching for them and IMO that carries some weight with a QB.

IMO, if he was truthful in his assertion that winning is most important then Minnesota would have to be considered the front runner. They have a legit top 5 defense and just made a serious playoff run with a career nobody at QB... he would have to think he could take that team all the way....unless he thinks it was all shurmer?

something to consider... the dude is from basically North Chicago...

Green Bay, Chicago, Indy, Cleveland and Detroit all would put the guy close enough that he could drive home and see his momma on an off day. Some guys get successful and want their family and friends to be a part of that so maybe being close to "home" is something he is thinking about. Pittsburgh is also only an 8 hour drive from his hometown.... Ben has a similar cap structure to honey badger this year with the $5mil roster bonus due on march 18th.... but Pittsburgh is 5mil over the cap this year so trading Ben and signing Kirk would take some magic
    The Detroit Lions however have a brand new coach. Even though they were in different divisions, purely geographical proximity would suggest Patricia should be fairly familiar with Cousins... there are rumors the Lions may want to trade Stafford and his huge contract,... and they also have $44mil in cap space. From Detroit its only a five hour drive home to mommas apple pie.. the contract would basically be a direct replacement since Cousins will get similar money.

all purely speculation. But the guy has tons of options depending on how he is actually thinking on it... many in the business seam to think Denver is a foregone conclusion... but I dont think he is plug and play in denver... Cousins alone will not take them to the top.

If Detroit were smart, they would trade off stafford to cleveland for one of those top picks and a second... then sign cousins and get him some help with their two first round picks.