Cord Cutters

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Covert Rain, Feb 25, 2016.

1. gmabel830

gmabel830 It's football season!!

Moving next week, and getting all setup..

Bought modem and router recommended by cord cutting sites
    Cox 100MBps plan
    Element TV with Amazon Fire built in plus indoor antenna
    A fire tv box with second indoor antenna
    2 extra fire sticks for other tv's

Going to get Sling (both packages plus sports extra and dvr for another 5 each), Netflix, will use or split cost of my bro-in-laws Hulu acct, and looking forward to exploring/using other apps/channels. Will definitely be an experience!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed Contributor

You cord cutter guys seem to really know what you are talking about. But to me, it is too much to handle for my old pea brain. pea.jpg

3. azsouthendzone

azsouthendzone Registered

Been a cord cutter for about three years. Current set up:

PlayStation Vue subscription $45 a month, been a subscriber since day 1
    Cox 150 mbps internet for $69 a month
    Sony Smart TV with PS Vue app
    PS4 on TV #2 with PS Vue
    Fire TV on TV #3 with PS Vue

4. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

Cox has me paying that for 60mbps...

5. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

Yeah, I’m trying to figure out what I’m paying $82.99 for and all it says is “Preferred.”

6. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

They prefer more of your money. Duh. :hammer:

Kel Varnsen likes this.
  7. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

I have preferred as well, which apparently has been bumped to 100mbps even though I only see about 60mbps.

Capture.PNG

8. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

On Sling tv has anybody figured out how to get past the sound synch issue? I have it to watch Pac 12 basketball games but I watch with the sound off because of this. In a nutshell, you can hear the crowd cheering a mad 3 before the ball has actually swished through the net. I know about 10 UCLA fans who got Sling this year to watch games and they all have the same issue so I know it's not just my internet speed.

Otherwise I really like Sling, at some point in the future I may just cut the cord and go with Sling as one of my options, but that sound thing really ruins games for me so I just watch with the sound off

9. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

Sounds weird, but have you tried turning fullscreen on then off?

10. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

I used to have Sling and I never had that problem. Weird. Do you have a long run on an HDMI cable? Is the sounds running through a audio receiver? Does it only happen when you watch certain things (i.e. Sports) vs all the other programming?

11. Russ Smith

I probably have but will try again.

A side, if I understand it correctly you're supposed to be able to tell what speed the system is picking up on your wifi, in the settings there's something that says connection, when I click on that there's 4 options, mine is set for "best quality" no limit and it says it's 1.9 mbps, while Xfinity's speedtest is reading 58 mbps. Is this actually saying that's my speed it's getting 1.9, or that's all the speed it's "using" ?

12. Russ Smith

using wifi but it was there when I connected by ethernet too.

Only really using it to watch pac 12 basketball so haven't really tested it for non sports.

13. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

I know sometimes these services have streaming agreements but ultimately get their signal somewhere else before streaming. Test the other non-sports channels.

14. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

I have the DirecTv genie system, it works great as far as the signal from the satellite receiver to the mini ones in the house. I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get the receiver to connect to internet with wifi from router. My Samsung TV connects fine for Netflix etc, as does everything else so I know it's not a router problem.

It seems like it connects for a day or so, then drops it. Drives my wife crazy when we're traveling because she can't connect to recorded content. I can watch live TV through the App easily. I thought it had something to do with static IP addresses and I tried to set that up but somehow it just craters.

I open the router settings on desktop, found the receiver and then set receiver to 10.0.0.20 static (which is not being used by anything else) then go into DirecTv and manually put in default gateway and that same .20 address for receiver. Then a day or so later, the IP address in DirecTv receiver is all 0's again and I get notice that internet connection dropped.

Basically, I don't know what I'm doing.... :) I set up DirecTv service call but when the tech got here he tried to make it work but he said he wasn't allowed to mess with my router settings. Sheesh, this is beyond my extremely limited techno skilz. Has anyone ever tried something like the Geek squad? I dunno what else to do.

If someone has any suggestions, please respond with no more than 2 syllable words.. Ha!

btw, I'm using Comcast internet because it's the only one available where live that has sufficient speed for streaming.

15. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

I have Sling & ota only so I use Sling daily & do not have this issue. I've watched only a few sports on it but everything is synced on all of the other programming. Try it on one of non sports channels & see what you get.