Compensation for Budenholzer?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Dan H, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

I'm ok giving up a 2nd rounder, since we don't really have room on the roster for any more 2nd round projects anyway.

2. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

We will be saving the Hawks a lot of money. I think they should PAY US to sign him.

3. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Bud is under contract with the Hawks for two more seasons so if the Suns want him (and the feeling is mutual) my guess the rebuilding Hawks will want compensation.

Do the Suns really want to drag this out?

I can't see the Suns wanting this to get ugly if the compensation is somewhat reasonable.

4. Mainstreet

No one wants to give the Hawks compensation for Bud.

I'm still peeved they took Joe Johnson away from us. :madarms:

I guess we are talking about what ifs.

5. JCSunsfan

Yes, I can see them wanting compensation. But the competition for Bud will not have anything to do with it. Bud decides where he wants to go, and then the Hawks and whoever play chicken for compensation. Everyone knows the Hawks do not want him back, and Bud does not want to be there.

6. sunsfan88

sunsfan88 Registered

Yeah but other teams may have interest in him and vice versa well. For example, a team with far superior talent like the Bucks have been linked to him.

If trading #31 is what it takes to get him here over going to the Bucks you do it. Plus I doubt the Suns are planning on bringing in so many rookies to already young roster anyway.

7. JCSunsfan

But selling him and satisfying the Hawks are two completely different things. Bud is the person who has to be convinced. He doesn’t care about the assets. The Hawks obviously want to let him go or they would not be letting teams talk with him. So who is going to call who’s bluff?

When you have a coach under contract and you let him talk to other teams, it’s because you want to get rid of him. But if you fire him you still have to pay him.

8. sunsfan88

sunsfan88 Registered

He’s interested in the Bucks job according to reports. He was even directly asked about it. I think he has interest in both the Suns & Bucks job. So now it comes down to which team Hawks want to trade with and that’s where assets come to play.

Good news is that Bucks don’t have many draft picks to offer (they only have their own, don’t own any other teams) and only draft picks can be traded for coaches per CBA.

9. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

I don't think the Suns will need to part with any sort of compensation and if they do they have the Raptors pick this year to use, which wouldn't be much of a loss since they have 3 other picks before that. I think Budenholzer is playing the Suns against the Bucks to make sure he gets paid as much as possible. The Bucks owe Kidd a lot of money and that may keep them from paying top dollar for a new coach, we'll see.

Like others have said, I think the Hawks just want his salary off the books so their new GM can bring in his own coach. If compensation is something the Hawks are after though the Suns could probably beat any other team with their own 2nd round picks if they were sold on Budenholzer as their guy.

10. pokerface

pokerface Registered

If we get Ayton I could coach this team.

Well I could! ;)

11. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Registered

I don't think it will work like that. Bud will decide where he wants to coach and then the Hawks will then work with that team to get compensation. Coaches don't get traded in the same way that players do and thus a trade would simply be compensating the Hawks for dissolving the contract.

12. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Agree

13. JCSunsfan

Again. Its not about the Hawks. Its about which team can convince Bud to be their coach. The advantage for the Suns is that the can put an offer on the table now (and it should be very generous) AND that he has roots to the area. It should also be a long term contract. Once Bud decides where he wants to go, that team can work out whatever is necessary with the Hawks.

14. Mainstreet

However, if Bud is open to taking both jobs then compensation could be a factor.

The Hawks could make it easier for Bud to go to the Bucks if they are willing to offer compensation whereas they could drag their feet with the Suns if they offer none.

I have not heard Bud only wants to come to the Suns.

Let's look at it another way. Bud is a restricted free agent.

15. Folster

Folster The system doesn't work.

Watch the Bucks trade their #17 pick to get Bud. That would be how it goes down for the Suns.