Clinton Gets Bood and Hissed over Taking Federal Lobbyist Money

Discussion in '2008 Presidential Election' started by Absolute Zero, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/04/AR2007080401324.html

CHICAGO, Aug. 4 -- Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York walked into the lion's den here Saturday, drawing applause as well as boos and hisses from an audience of progressive bloggers during a presidential candidates forum in which she became the target of sharp criticism from several of her Democratic rivals.
    ...Clinton said, "I don't think, based on my 35 years of fighting for what I believe in, anybody seriously believes I'm going to be influenced by a lobbyist or a particular interest."

With that there were groans and hisses, and Clinton, who had braced for such a reaction and seemingly had waited for it through nearly an hour of debate, responded: "I've been waiting for this. This gives us a real sense of reality with my being here." She added, "A lot of those lobbyists, whether you like it or not, represent real Americans."

When the moderator, New York Times Magazine writer Matt Bai, turned back to Obama a few minutes later, the senator immediately challenged Clinton's position.

"I disagree with the notion that lobbyists don't have disproportionate influence," he said. "The insurance and drug companies spent $1 billion in lobbying over the last 10 years. Now Hillary, you were talking earlier about the efforts you made back in '93 [trying to reform health care]. Now you can't tell me that that money did not have a difference. They are not spending that just because they are contributing to the public interest."

With that the audience erupted in cheers of approval, and Edwards, sitting on Clinton's right, joined in the applause.
    ----------

It was brave for Hillary to show up at this thing, and sit next to Obama who has refused to accept contributions from Federal lobbyists and PAC's. If you read the whole article, you'll see they asked her to do the same, and basically she says no I'm going to keep on taking their money!!

2. CardFan67

CardFan67 Don't touch my tail!

:) :lol: :lmao: :biglaugh: :D

3. D-Dogg

D-Dogg A Whole New World Contributor

Obama is slowly killing this woman. She'd be better off just not talking when he is around.

4. Absolute Zero

I just love the looks on her faces when he is criticizing her positions or bringing up her errors. It looks like she is thinking "THAT BASTA*D!"

5. Absolute Zero

6. D-Dogg

D-Dogg A Whole New World Contributor

Both of them. :D

7. Heucrazy

Heucrazy Pretty Prince of Parties

:biglaugh:

God, I hope Barack gets the nomination.

Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton is unacceptable.

8. DjaugheOld

DjaugheOld Ads by Google

lol...getting boo'd by the Daily Kooks.

I dunno why that is a bad thing.

9. MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey Thank You Paul!

i just hope the same thing doesn't happen here as happened in NY - she gets called out - it gets spun as an attack on her and she skates as the victim without having to address the initial flaws

10. Absolute Zero

Its bad if you are trying to get the Democratic nomination.

Since the Republican field doesn't seem that strong, perhaps she could switch parties and use those boos!!

11. DjaugheOld

DjaugheOld Ads by Google

Why? The Daily Kooks (progressive bloggers) haven't yet yanked an election their way. At least not yet.

Not a bad idea.

12. Absolute Zero

I would add that saying "Yes, I will continue taking money from federal lobbyists" when your competitors have dissavowed them doesn't play well to Dems and Independents, especially in the post Tom Delay era.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  13. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

They are ALL going to take money from federal lobbyists. At least Hilary admits it.

14. Absolute Zero

Obama is refusing the donations from fed lobbyists and sending them back. He is going for the brownie points and getting his $$ elsewhere. Seems to be working in my book.

15. AzCards21

AzCards21 Registered User

Three names I wish would be banished from our political arena FOREVER.

Bush
    Clinton
    Kennedy