Cards save $14 million with Palmer retirement

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by az jam, Jan 2, 2018.

1. masterphomeg

masterphomeg http://ronevansrealty.com

You think they will cut a guy that almost played 100% of the defensive snaps this year? Not a chance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. GoldGloveschmidt

GoldGloveschmidt Registered

I think they use the 50 million to bolster the line (two veterans 6-8 mil each), sign a good receiver(8-12 mil), and a couple fillers on defense(3-5 mil players), maybe a mid tier corner for 7 or 8 mil. Add a cheap veteran QB like Gabbert to be a backup. (Not actually Gabbert please but some other failure journeyman)

Draft a QB and pray he's decent and gives huge savings for the next 5 years.

But we'll see.

kerouac9 likes this.
  3. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

What two offensive linemen are you looking to add? It's a nice idea, but I don't believe you have looked at the FA OL class. It's not a great match.

unseenaz and kerouac9 like this.
  4. crisper57

crisper57 Open the Roof!

Yes they will, for what they owe him if he stays. Not playing up to that level.

5. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

or all those guys can keep their jobs and we can cut Honey Badger before March 3rd and save 14million

6. football karma

football karma formerly known as En Fuego

this is the offseason that if the Cards pay Badger his $5mm roster bonus, his 2018 and 2019 salaries get guaranteed and his cap hit goes to $14 mm per year for the next three years

l love the guy, but he isnt a $14mm a year player

7. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

they will if they are smart, cut him if you cant trade him.... hell, get a fifth for him...they already drafted Baker to replace him which means Keim dont feel married to him.

8. ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals Registered

The team has more holes than a spaghetti strainer.

You could give them 100 mill and they won’t be able to compete with the Rams, Seattle and 9ers next year.

Cards will be the Browns of the West

And I’ll put my money where my mouth is. I’ll offer $300 in actual bets to anyone that’ll take the Cards over any team in the nfc west.

9. Goodyear Card

Goodyear Card Registered

cutting Mathieu only saves 4.8M against the 2018 cap. 9.3M in dead money

10. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

but NOT cutting him makes the next two seasons $14mil each guaranteed.... cut him now, deal with modest dead money and be done with it...

or try and get a pick for him...he seems to think he has a good market

GatorAZ likes this.
  11. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I think the plan coming into the offseason was to have money to rebuild. Anyway it looks like it now.

12. iLLmatiC

iLLmatiC 2016 Cardinals season in a nutshell

Can this bet be placed come September?

cardncubfan, POISON and daves like this.
  13. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

this team does not have as many holes as it appears.... we need a QB obviously,...and a legit #1 WR...hell, make it a #1 and a #2... but Nelson, Golden, and Brown(Jauron)..are not complete deadbeats, they have value at their position... the trick is to not have to ask to much of them for extended periods of time.

The absolute BEST thing we can do for our offense is improve at Oline coach.... talent wise we are not barren even with what we have...even though I would like to see a couple of young guys brought in just to increase our odds of having studs in the trenches.

we can damn near stand pat with our defensive personnel and be okay...we just need to tweak it...replace dansby, secure one of the 23 FA CB's this off season

there are a few reasons why we have looked weak the past couple of seasons and I would hazard that Harold Goodwin and Amos Jones are the two biggest problems we had.

nashman likes this.
  14. BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan Go for it Contributor

This is important to building the team. Giving the QB, whoever it is, that little extra time to make decisions will help him gain confidence. The run game with some decent holes will take some pressure off him also. We need to bring a top flight Oline coach who can coach up the young players.

NE seems to have good coaches for their Oline. They withstand injuries and just seem to plug guys in. Brady has good time to throw most of the time. So if Patricia ends up here hopefully he can bring the guy or his asst with him.

15. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Registered

Never understood the "wringing of hands" by many on this board about the Cardinals not having enough cap space going into this offseason.

GuernseyCard likes this.