Card currently #4 on rush D

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by nidan, Sep 20, 2009.

1. nidan

nidan Oscar Contributor

Who woulda thunk it

2. PoolBoy

PoolBoy BIRDGANG

me. our rush defense was good last year too.

3. Shane

Shane Future STAR Contributor

Our rush D always been pretty good. Its the pass D that has let us down.

4. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Namely DRC. He had the interception to seal the win but he gave up a lot of big plays to a no name WR. He better get it together as he will probably be matched up on Wayne next week.

5. TJ

TJ Biscuits and Cocktails

We've contained two of the best RBs in the game in consecutive weeks. I'm not concerned about that part of the defense. I just wish our secondary would play more man coverage. We have the personnel to do so, its a matter of execution.

6. Pariah

Pariah H.S. Contributor

I'm actually surprised we're not higher. If not for that one 40 yard scamper by MJD he did literally NOTHING all day.

Next week with be a tough test for us--Indy doesn't have to run to be successful.

7. moklerman

moklerman Warner = Playoffs

Considering what SF did to Seattle today, I think the Cardinals defense has held up it's end of the deal so far. The pass rush is still a little weak for my taste but the run defense has been pretty stellar.

It's a bit of a double edged sword with Indy though. If Addai is completely shut down, I don't know that forcing Manning to beat you is a good plan of attack. Can't let them run it but I don't know that a shootout is the way to go either. It's gonna be tough.

At least the team gets to watch Indy on MNF. A short week, traveling west and an unusual playing time might all be little things to work against the Colts.

8. CaptTurbo

CaptTurbo Registered

Im shocked we are not #1. Who is?

9. Brighteyes

Brighteyes Super Bowl!

What's funny to me is reading some of the folks at ESPN and CNNSI -- they think the 49'ers are great because Gore just got 207 yards against Seattle. BUT the Cards aren't good at all -- even though we held Gore to 30 yards. We're not even a good team according to them.

10. CaptTurbo

CaptTurbo Registered

Why is our pass D not better? Is Wilson providing a big + on run D giving a bigger - on pass D than we think? Or is it Rolle?

11. Hypothesis

Hypothesis Draft Junkie

We're second in the NFL in total sacks with 8...only behind the Bengals who have 9. Not too mention there were a few missed sacks we could have had. We also lead the NFL with 6 FF's.

We're getting to the QB, and I believe we also have quite a few TFL. We just need to stay aggressive all game long.

12. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Registered

I'm more impressed that we are #2 in sacks and #1 in forced fumbles. Keep this up and Bill Davis deserves a statue.

13. jaguarpaw81

jaguarpaw81 Banned

Normally, I'd agree, but you gotta look at the situations for each team. I'll take a hot-handed Warner + Fitz, Q and Stevie B at home over Peyton + Wayne, Clark and Hank Baskett coming off a short week any day.

14. Duckjake

Duckjake Registered

All of the above. Just like last year. Doesn't help that our DB's like to miss tackles either.

But our run D has not allowed a back to gain 70 yards since Peterson woke them up last year. No back has gone over 60 without the Cards letting him get around half of his yards on one run.

The leading rushers for our opponents during that stretch averaged 2.7 ypc.

Of course some of that is attributable to our offense. They scored so much teams had to abandon the run to try to keep up. Only Gore had 20+carries for instance and Morris (SEA),DAWilliams,Westbrook and Drew, had 15 or fewer.

15. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

I knew somebody would respond to this with stats, however, I agree with you on our pass rush. Of the 8 sacks I'm almost willing to bet none came without a blitz.
    A good pass rush team can generate pressure with just 4 guys.