Bob Iger Says Star Wars and Marvel Movies Will Continue Forever

Discussion in 'Movies and Entertainment' started by Brian in Mesa, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

Bob Iger Says Star Wars and Marvel Movies Will Continue Forever

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...ies-will-continue-forever#teuItHVZKUgAUS1I.99

Last year a little movie came out that you might have heard of, it was called Star Wars: The Force Awakens and to date it has made over $1.9 billion at the global box office. It’s the first in a whole slew of Star Wars films set to be distributed by The Walt Disney Company, including Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Star Wars: Episode VIII, Star Wars: Episode IX, and a Young Han Solo spin-off.

Now, surprising no one, word has come that Disney is already planning on making even more beyond the next four films.

“There are five Star Wars films – four more with Episode VII: The Force Awakens – that are in varying stages of development and production,” Disney chairman Bob Iger tells Newsbeat. “There will be more after that, I don’t know how many, I don’t know how often.”

The really interesting thing from this quote is Iger’s hesitation on the release pattern for these unannounced movies. Might Disney stray from their currently-plotted annual release? Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is set for release on December 16, 2016 with Star Wars: Episode VIII recently moving to December 15, 2017. The Untitled Han Solo movie is currently set for May 25, 2018 with Episode IX to follow on an unannounced 2019 date.

Shifting gears, Iger also spoke about the other major brand at Disney with Marvel, whose twelve theatrical releases have brought in over $9 billion at the global box office. Hold on to your hats for this one, as Iger says that these films won’t stop either.

“Marvel, you’re dealing with thousands and thousands of characters – that will go on forever.”

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Site Owner Administrator Staff Member

If it makes a profit, why would they stop..

3. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

‘Game of Thrones’ Creators to Write, Produce New ‘Star Wars’ Series of Films

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/s...-new-films-david-benioff-db-weiss-1202689489/

4. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

5. puckhead

Agreed. Long ways off, but looking forward to it.

6. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

Translation: Expect at least one Star Wars movie a year every year until we've saturated the franchise to death.

7. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

they're just making Star Wars so less special than it's ever been.

I'm super curious if they just think the words STAR WARS are going to bring people into the theaters. Sure, Rian Johnson and the GOT guys can go off and make their own trilogies... but if they can't create super mythical stories with beloved characters, I'm dubious that just slapping Star Wars on the frontwill lead to buku deniro. Marvel gets away with making movies until the end of time because EVERYTHING comes from DECADES of beloved characters, who's history is beyond deep and rich. Same can't be said about Star Wars. It's not like you see Marvel creating NEW superheroes. It's all established IP.

I think Solo will be a big harbinger of things to come as far as them making movies till the end of time. Yes, it's one of the OT characters, but it's not WITH the OT actor that made people love the character. It feels like they're doing the Star Wars version of that awful Dumb and Dumber prequel back in the day without Daniels or Carey.

That said, maybe this works if every movie isn't a 150 million production, but studios don't seem to be making mid-majors at the 20-50 million dollar price tag and even if they did, I don't think they'd be able to pull off the scope any Star Wars movies has to have.

But they'll definitely try and have no reason not to at this point. What I'd rather see is them finally go the TV route... do what Marvel has done with Daredevil, Jess Jones, Punisher... take those smaller character and make some great TV shows about them. They'll probably do both in the long run.

Anyway, fascinating to watch from a writer's perspective which way they chose to go.

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  8. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

How do you feel about the Harry Potter Prequels?

9. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

I don't really care about Harry Potter. But the first one didn't exactly break records with only 234 million domestic. It made a really good amount of coin foreign and that helps, but will that series go up or down from here? Time will tell.

But like I said, I don't really care about Potter so whether they lose their "specialness" is pretty immaterial to me.

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  10. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

yeah...I saw this on FB... with all the added violence and sex it should add fans in the younger demographics...
    but with all the added violence and sex...
    lets just hope they aint doing.... CHEWBACA.... A Star Wars Story

all that hair pulling and choking during wookie S&M might be a bit much for the youngsters.

11. puckhead

Chewy has been naked the whole time. The shock value is gone. Then again, we don't know what he's been carrying in that purse of his. :eek:

12. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

You're dead.

13. Dback Jon

Many feel the same way about Star Wars. I would hazard a guess that many people in their twenties and thirties have flipped reactions to you - care far more about HP than Star Wars, when it comes to continuity, or the added Star Wars stories.

14. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

I've never read a Harry Potter book or seen a Harry Potter film. :shrug:

Any good? :)

15. Dback Jon

Better than Star Wars. More entertaining, better character development, better story arc, better writing, less cheesy.

Should I go on? :)

ozzfloyd likes this.