Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'Movies and Entertainment' started by Brian in Mesa, Mar 5, 2011.

1. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

watched Sicario a few nights ago. Well done.... IMO that guy will do a fine job on a Blade Runner.

2. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIMâ„¢ Contributor

Totally agree.

Also, I am personally glad that Scott is no longer attached. Sick of his insistence that Deckard was a replicant.

Philip K. Dick wrote the character Deckard as a human in his novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Hampton Fancher (original screenwriter) has said that he wrote the character Deckard as a human, but wanted the film to suggest the possibility that he may be a replicant. He wanted a little ambiguity but maintained that the character was indeed human.

Harrison Ford considers Deckard to be human. "That was the main area of contention between Ridley and myself at the time," Ford told an interviewer during a BBC1 Hollywood Greats segment. "I thought the audience deserved one human being on screen that they could establish an emotional relationship with.

Ridley Scott stated in several interviews (2002, 2007, and 2012) that he considers Deckard a replicant.

Personally, I'll go with the creator of the character, the person who wrote the character for the screen, and the person who portrayed the character on the screen over the director who tampered with the original work in his Director's Cut.

3. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Yamon.

Exactamundo.

4. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

Absolutely agree.... which is the reason I like the theatrical version over all other variations. It really wouldn't make much sense to have Deckard as a replicant.

5. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

A trailer for the trailer :rolleyes:

Covert Rain likes this.
  6. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

LOL

7. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

I'm mixed about this, but it does look good.

8. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

I am looking forward to it. Having Decker even in a small role adds credibility to any sequel they could have done. Having Harrison Ford revise Decker gives it a bit more boost.

9. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

No doubt. They also seem to have kept the visual style and music, which is something I always enjoyed about the first.

And Han Solo gets to meet Drax :)

10. Bodha

Bodha Registered

Ive never watched the 1st blade runner, so i better get caught up

11. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

My fingers are crossed that they can pull this off. Trailer looks good as far as that can take you.

12. UncleChris

Supposedly, the new movie will leave it up in the air about whether or not Deckard is a replicant. I just hate this. I guess they figure if they "leave it unresolved," people will talk about it, indirectly resulting in more folks going to the movie.

It's just B.S. Changing Deckard's character to a replicant totally ruins the whole premise of the original story. Scott can kma. I watched his two "updates" once each.... and will not watch them again.

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  13. Covert Rain

I don't agree it ruins the premise. It actually makes the premise more interesting if Deckard is one because it creates an entirely new set of mysteries and questions. The debate is one of the things that kept people talking about the movie all these years.

14. UncleChris

The original story is about humanity. Deckard being an android just won't work in that.

If you haven't read "Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep," I heartily recommend that you so. It will make a lot more sense for you.

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  15. Covert Rain

I actually have read that. It doesn't change my view. Even if Deckard is a replicant the story is still ultimately about humanity. What is humanity? How is it defined? How far will we go to protect a particular view of humanity. None of that changes.

It just opens the door to more questions and more debate about the "whys" of it all. This is one of the most popular debates in film history. I hope they don't answer it.

It's just like some of the Nolan films. It's much more fun to debate the unanswered questions.