Black Mirror (BBC)(Netflix)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Brian in Mesa, Dec 6, 2017.

1. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

It it just me or is it that almost every episode is incredibly well written until the end. The last 5-10 minutes on most episodes just fall flat. It is a shame too because they all seem to be well written until that point.

2. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

I don't think they all fall flat. However, it's interesting you bring this up because usually I do feel left wanting more of a story line because I think they are so good. It ends up feeling like they realize that towards the end and you get a quick wrap up.

3. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

The story starts being so well developed, that I wished that some of them were 2 or even 3 episodes in a mini-series.. Like you said, I am left wanting more on just about every one because it seems like they hit an arbitrary time limit and need to wrap it up.

Poop Head and Covert Rain like this.
  4. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

I agree with all of you in that I'd like to see some of the stories continued into a second or third episode. I'm a little surprised that they haven't tried creating a spinoff yet, using one of the ideas from an episode to base a series around. Something like San Junipero would probably do well as a series, since that particular episode was very well received, it even got some award recognition. That is the only episode of the series that had a happy ending of sorts also. The rest are rather bleak, while some are depressing. I know the creator has mentioned that he's asked about San Junipero more than any other episode and that's the episode that fans request a follow up to the most as well. He hasn't ruled out doing followup episodes eventually but he wants to keep creating new stories and environments as long as they're able to before they decide to do followups. With how few episodes are in a season I'm glad that we're not getting followups right now, if they had longer seasons I'd be more interested then myself.

I think every episode in the series could have either a follow up on the story that was told, direct continuation of the story that would start almost as the episode previously ended, or another story being told using the same world that was created in the previous episode. That would be using a different narrative with the same technology previously revealed. I'd like to see more of certain stories the most, picking up where the previous episode ended. Specifically though I'd like to see more of the USS Callister story. That could be continued easily, IMO. There's a lot of things that could be explored if they continued that story. Not enough for a series itself but at least a few more episodes.

Here's what I'd like to see in a follow-up to USS Callister...
    They could pick up right where it left off with the escaped clones trying to survive in that virtual world. Since they're now online in a large community of players the options are almost limitless in regards to who they'd encounter. That episode only briefly touched on trolls in the online gaming world, which there are a lot of. The interactions with those sort of players would be entertaining. Of course they'd need to expand on what happened with Robert Daly, if he's stuck in the game until someone is able to help him out of the gaming world. They could show him trying to leave the game to no avail and then him hunting down the clones. First he'd need to find a way to get online since he's trapped in the offline portion that he created for himself. I believe there are other clones still stuck in that portion also. Going back to the clones they could show them trying to contact their real world selves to tell them what Daly was doing with the game. Of course they'd also have to convince their real world selves that they're really "real" as well. What the real versions of them would do with that info though, who knows. What could be done though, legally, if anything?

There are a few other episodes I wouldn't mind seeing visited again either, telling a different story though within that world, like "Nosedive", "Hang The DJ", and "Fifteen Million Merits". Those were all fun concepts and interesting worlds I'd like to see more of and from a different point of view. I'm surprised they've put out 19 episodes so far and they haven't really recycled the same story or technology throughout. The closest they've come to recycling technology was the implant that recorded memories from "The Entire History of You" and "Arkangel" but they were presented very differently and with just enough changes made that it was interesting. I guess the technology from "White Christmas" was similar to that used in "USS Callister" but again, they used that completely different than one another. I'm surprised they've managed to create so many interesting ideas and worlds. Some shows struggles to create an intriguing and interesting world throughout the course of an entire season but Black Mirror manages to create intriguing worlds within every hour they've produced.

5. jf-08

jf-08 Administrator; Rules Creator Contributor

Started watching this. It is so unique. I love it. "White Bear" was a fantastic episode - probably one of my favorite episodes in all of tv history.

6. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

white bear is so completely f'd up. one of my favorites of the bunch.

LoyaltyisaCurse and jf-08 like this.
  7. Shaggy

Shaggy Site Owner Administrator Staff Member

Are most of you just starting on the newest season or have you all watched everyone of them?

8. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

I've been watching them in order, just watched White Bear last night. Weird stuff fo' shore.

9. jf-08

Started from the beginning episode and working my way through each season, with the most current being the last.

10. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I’ve only watched the first two so far and I’ve enjoyed them. But I’m already seeing what some of you pointed out which is the weirdly abrupt endings.

11. cheesebeef

did you start in season 1?

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  12. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

jf-08 likes this.
  13. cheesebeef

that one is in my top 3.

Covert Rain likes this.
  14. jf-08

Just watched Metal Head last night. Damn. I'd love to see the back story on that one. Holy crap. It's my favorite episode so far.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy Site Owner Administrator Staff Member

It was pretty good!