Black Mirror (BBC)(Netflix)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Brian in Mesa, Dec 6, 2017.

1. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

That appears to be a recurring theme in Black Mirror.. I have only seen four episodes and there were two with this type of theme... one where a "grain" was implanted in the neck and everyone carried around a little remote... they reviewed memories at parties,...displyed on TV...they could also look back just in their own eyes to zoom in and check peoples reactions and such..
    another was a chip implanted in the brains of kids...so the parents could see what the kids see on an ipad.. then edit stressful images and sounds so the kids didnt have to see them.

great for philosophical discussions... IMO, we need memory degradation to survive...otherwise traumatic events will eventually just eat us up

2. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

I think black mirror can be summed up in two words:

Technology bad.

3. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

from what I saw that did seem to come to the forefront.... Technology mixed with human nature also very bad...lol.
    on that one with the ipad...I just knew nosey mom was gonna see her daughter get raped and murdered over that ipad and be helpless to stop it... but they were even less creative with it.

4. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Yeah, I take the show to mean that technology not used properly by US is bad. I don't think the show is anti-technology as much as trying to tell us that technology without moral boundaries can have consequences.

5. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

agreed.

one of my biggest disappointments is that I will not likely ever get to plug a playstation into my head and play games with no screen or controllers ... but my grandkids will

Covert Rain likes this.
  6. Superbone

Superbone Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan

Yeah, just watched The Entire History of You last night. That's the grain episode. It was a little disappointing for me since I had read that it was arguably the best episode in the entire run of the show. The fact that I had already seen the other episode you referenced from season 4 lessened the effect. It appears that they reuse ideas on the show. Another episode in S4 also was similar where they could review other's experiences for insurance purposes.

7. Superbone

Agreed. Technology alone isn't bad but certain things just shouldn't be made available like the whole of your experiences visually and auditorily. Just like pretty much any tool can be used for evil.

8. Superbone

Yes, I want to experience the holodeck from Star Trek TNG.

Covert Rain likes this.
  9. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Well, yeah... it’s more like Humans bad. Humans with tech... worse.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Site Owner Administrator Staff Member

What did you post from reddit? Nothing came up. I forgot the name of the movie but its where they had a recorder implanted in their brain when they were born. Their whole life was recorded and you could only view it when they died.

11. Superbone

From Reddit:

12. Shaggy

That's it! Its been years since I watched it and it was one of a few dark movies Robin did.

Superbone likes this.
  13. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

Williams did a few dark ,movies.

The Fisher King is maybe one of my all time favorite movies...it is a bit odd and you have to pay attention to it...but it really is fantastic

Worlds Greatest Dad was also a dark one, but at the same time a hilarious screw you to the world. its an awesome look at how fake people really are

and of course...One Hour Photo was fairly dark as well..it did a good job of highlighting people who live on the fringe

Robin did "disturbed" maybe better than anybody

Insomnia was very good... he studied Dahmer for that one.... very likable serial killer

then of course "Death to Smoochy"...comedic but also very dark

what about "What Dreams May Come".. colorful, but explores the folly and consequence of suicide, and is also dark.

I guess "Dark" is subjective.. dark movie, dark subject, dark theme...each a little different.

we all remember Williams for his amazing comedy but IMO he did his best work when he wasnt being funny...dude was truly talented. I remember being so pissed when he didnt win an oscar for Dead Poets Society

14. Superbone

I'd never even heard of it. I'll definitely have to watch it. It sounds right up my alley.

15. Shaggy

I thought it was pretty good from what I can remember. I liked it due to the theme of the movie. Your whole life recorded.