Big PP21

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by BigRedRage, Feb 9, 2018.

1. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

cardncubfan likes this.
  2. BigRedRage

somehow hes not in their top 100 players. It shows how stats really lie for the CB position.

daves and Chopper0080 like this.
  3. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

Hard to grade him on stats if he’s only targeted like twice a game.

4. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

That is exactly WHY you grade him highly.

masterphomeg and cardncubfan like this.
  5. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

Only people who specialize in watching the game with their eyes off the ball understand his worth. Well, the reason why T. Williams was graded higher in PFF’s flawed metric was because he had the opportunity to make more tackles, PDs, INTs, etc. meanwhile, Peterson wins the matchup before the game even starts. OCs just plan on their #1 option being shutdown unless it’s a guy like Julio Jones.

Really is frustrating for me to think about how undervalued he is.

POISON and daves like this.
  6. GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall Registered

Has there been any player or coach to come forward and support PP's complaint about how he is rated?

Since his diagnosis with diabetes, has PP been excused from mixing it up and playing tackle football?

Does he have any chronic injury that has him engaging only as a cover corner?

Why did our new coach SW list 'physicality' as his first requirement? Who was he talking to? Don't think it was Gresham or Fitz or KW.

Key stats to look at for comparison---even for a CB given cover responsibilities---is how many tackles, assists, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries and sacks the guy has. For a cover corner, those are numbers that highlight how much participation he has in the full defense of the goal line and what he does when the ball goes to someone other than his primary guy.

PP's numbers: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PetePa00.htm

Josh Norman: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NormJo01.htm

Richard Sherman: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NormJo01.htm

(13 games started for Norman in 2017; 9 games for Sherman)

Our new coaching staff are most likely to challenge PP to give the full stat sheets similar to what Josh Norman and Sherman put up for their teams. After he covers his guy, he needs to turn and defend the goal by running to the play and sticking his nose in on tackles, attempts to strip the runner, being a part of the goal line stand instead of an observer.

Also, watch the interaction of PP with the rest of the D players---he is a man alone. Seldom see him involved in any celebration/conversation on the sidelines, etc with anyone except his friend HB. Even when he makes a good play, he celebrates alone.

7. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

How many times has Sherman & Norman been injured? What would happen to the Cards D if PP missed any time?

daves likes this.
  8. GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall Registered

For Sherman, looks like this year when he went down with his torn Achilles is the first time he missed any games. Pretty good for a guy who plays tackle football on every down.

For Norman, looks like he's had some injury issues over his career. Also, Norman gets hit with unsportsmanlike penalties and was a disruptive player with the Panthers.

Norman on SW and PP:
    https://riggosrag.com/2018/01/22/josh-norman-praises-new-arizona-cardinals-head-coach-steve-wilks/

If Cards didn't have PP, we'd probably go 8-8 and miss the playoffs.

9. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

How is Peterson going to fill a stat sheet if he’s only targeted 1-3 times per game?

By the way—-he’s always celebrating/hanging out with the other DBs. Let’s stop with the Alternative Facts.

daves, unseenaz and dreamcastrocks like this.
  10. BigRedRage

I'm surprised no one has commented on my amazing word play of a banned phrase in the thread title.

wa52lz and Finito like this.
  11. GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall Registered

PP fills the stat sheets the same way all the other DBs rated above him fill the stat sheet. They handle their coverage and when the ball goes away from them they peel off and run to the ball---that's how to get some assists, FF, FR, gang tackle along the goal, and how to stop big gains---by everyone defending the goal line.

How PP interacts with the other D players is my impression of watching the game replays---I do not have any stats on that account. How do you explain that no other D players have stepped up and voiced support for PP over his rating? How do you explain Josh Norman's comment that SW is going to take PP's game to the next level?

Here's a ranking that may be more to your taste with PP rated as #9 for the season:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ng-the-top-outside-cornerbacks-of-2017-season

Here's a ranking from 2016 that has PP at #13 but also mentions playing through a knee injury (kept under wraps by the Cards):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000775730/article/xavier-rhodes-leads-top10-no-1-cornerbacks

PP has the ability to be so much more than a coverage guy. He could be All-World. If we could move HB's intensity into PP's body.

12. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

Big puss was banned? I seen where Chris was sick of it but I don't think it breaks any rules of the board. Didn't see where it was banned.

13. GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall Registered

I believe it got into 'troll' territory with Mitch and I both taking the bait and yammering on-and-on with the same talking points . . . as I am guilty of here.

What can I say? I'm just a Bigfoot who loves to yammer.

cardncubfan likes this.
  14. unseenaz

unseenaz Registered

[​IMG]

15. dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks Chopped Liver Moderator Contributor

Yes. It is clearly trolling.

I thought about changing this title too, but decided against it. If this thread derails, it will be closed as well.

cardncubfan likes this.