Best salad in the Valley

Discussion in 'The Food Forum' started by Bert, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Bert

Bert Bandwagon ASU Basketball Fan

Yeah I know this one isn't as much fun as the Burger one, but I have been working really hard to lose weight the last month and so, in the spirit of healthy eating, tell us what you're favorite salad spot!

I just discovered the salad bar at AJs fine foods. It was fantastic. Lots of fresh, Tasty ingredients and a reasonable price!

Where do you like to get a salad?

2. Errntknght

Errntknght Registered User

Thanks for the head's up about AJ's... I rarely shop there but I'll check out their salad bar as I eat great quantities of salad.

Normally I go to Tomatoes but I won't vouch for their salads overall - I just buy their take out with veggies that I use in small quantities and mix those with higher volume components that I buy at Sprouts. Also that allows me to buy organic for things I worry about. It saves a lot of chopping and trying to maintain things that come in larger quantities than I need per salad. Their plastic take out container looks small but it holds over a quart and costs $6.05 per, tax included. Their stuff is fresh - they do a high volume of business and they're constantly refreshing the trays of food.

If you're interested in my take on buying organic, read on. I don't have a lot of faith in the ratings of high and low amounts of pollutants because I don't know how they arrive at them. My ideas are based on simple chemistry. The worst food pollutants are called POPs - Persistant Organic Pollutants. They persist because they're not water soluble but since they're not, plants don't take up from the soil. They're usually dispersed via the air to begin with - thus if the part you eat is exposed to air I go organic - leafy greens in particular because they have lots of surface area. POPs are generally soluble in oils and fats so I buy organic oils and animal products including dairy and eggs - as you go up the food chain pollutants are more and more concentrated.
    Foods with tough, non-porous skins I just wash with a fruit and veggie wash - apples, pears, plums, celery, tomatoes, etc. Things with porous skins I peel or buy organic - peaches and apricots for example. Canned foods I go organic but I rarely eat anything canned except tomatoes (in sauces). Cabbage is exposed to air but the outer leaves are discarded - even moreso with cauliflower - so I don't worry about them.

3. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

I love the house salad at Oreganos. Huge and cheap.

4. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

outback has a great soup and salad lunch special too.

5. Bert

Going to have to try this out

6. DeAnna

DeAnna Just A Face in The Crowd

I like the salad bar at Whole Foods - huge variety. Also Sprouts' is pretty good.

7. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2016
  8. crisper57

crisper57 Open the Roof!

Trader Joe's Original Greek Salad is still my favorite for on-the-go.

Zoe's Kitchen has a great Greek salad. It comes with their amazing red potato salad underneath. It sounds weird, but it works.

Jason's Deli has a good salad bar, especially if you pair it with one of their soups.

If you are by PV Mall, go to Bread Crafters. All salads made fresh and their have a triple berry salad that is amazing, as well as about a dozen other varieties.

Another fun thing to do is to go to one of the local Farmer's Markets on the weekend and just pick out your own ingredients. I know I've done this and I am loathe to let them go to waste. Fun for experimenting.

And, if I am feeling particularly unhealthy, I will get the Olive Garden salad to go. :D

9. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

The soups and salads at Cafe' Zupas is really good. There is one way north...17 & Deer Valley, maybe? I go to the one at Val Vista & Baseline.

10. Shane

Shane Current STAR Contributor

Ummm really GOOD salads are about as bad for you as a hamburger or worse.

11. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

ditto this

Camelback and the 51

12. jf-08

jf-08 Administrator; Rules Creator Contributor

One opened recently at Gilbert Rd / 202 South.

My girlfriend and I love Oregano's Favorite salad with chicken.

13. FArting

FArting Lopes Up!

I-17 and Happy Valley

14. Bert

Cant disagree more. Have found tons of really good salads that aren't bad for you at all. Certainly nowhere near a hamburger. If a salad has breaded anything in it I dont order it.

Even if calories are about even, you are getting far more nutrients from a salad and your body is processing it differently than a Hamburger.

I mean, we're not talking about giant taco salads or monstrosities with gallons of ranch in them. I expected that common sense would suggest those aren't the salads we are talking about.

But now I kindof want a burger. Thanks Shane. :p

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  15. Catlover

Catlover Registered

Late response but thanks for this - I found it very informative.