BA = Begging for Attention?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Mitch, Jul 12, 2017.

1. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

Exactly. It's absurd to think Arians actually was the sole author of this book. He talked, someone else wrote it. His time in this book was probably done in 2 or 3 days.

2. masterphomeg

masterphomeg http://ronevansrealty.com

Dude can't even look a player in the eye, when cutting him. That's what I disliked the most, when he was on HK.

3. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

Meh. I have a hard time letting people go. I struggle with it immensely. I absolutely hate that part of my job. All of my employees love me which makes it that much harder. Picture Norm from Cheers having to take the person out to lunch. ;)

4. daves

daves Registered Contributor

Aha, so Belichick is a real humble guy, but you are really annoyed at Arians for promulgating the idea that his coordinators are worthy of being head coaches, and their assistants are worthy of stepping up into the top jobs.
    :doi:
    ...dave

TJ likes this.
  5. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

[​IMG]

6. Cardiac

Cardiac Registered User

7. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

I read the book. Liked it. Like the proverbial Chinese meal, it left me wanting more.

It has two parallel story lines: (1) A "how to" book for coaches and QB's and (2) autobiographical snippets.

I wanted more of each.

More play & scheme diagramming

More juicy anecdotes of CP, the Badger, Fitz, the Bidwills etc.

Enough material for 2 books instead of a somehat waterered-down single body of work.

Based on my own 78-year old perspective and BA's own latest medical challenge, I'm guessing that he may have gotten in touch with his own sense of mortality and decided it was time to get something down on paper sooner rather than later.

You'd be right if you were to remind me that "beggars can't be choosers", but I selfishly would like "more BA more of the time."

DemsMyBoys, BigRedRage and daves like this.
  8. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

@Mitch i'm dying to see how you twist and turn out of your hypocrisy when you respond to this.

I DO think BA likes attention, but theres definitely someone here who craves attention more... with pretty much zero reason to deserve it.

9. iLLmatiC

iLLmatiC 2016 Cardinals season in a nutshell

/thread

10. Mitch

Mitch Crawled Through 5 FB Fields

Belichick and Arians are polar opposites:

Belichick: never talk about Super Bowl, only the next game at hand. Arians: only thing that matters is the Super Bowl.
    Belichick (after losses): we need to coach better. Arians: players, poor team leadership and referees are at fault.
    Belichick (on praising his own players): if one guy does well it's because the whole team does well. Arians: bills guys as future Hall of Famers or compares his players to Hall of Famers.
    Belichick (on assistant coaches): doesn't hype them the media as HC candidates because he wants to keep them, never talks about or promotes his own coaching tree. Arians: hypes them to the media and talks frequently about he's established his own "coaching tree".
    Belichick (after wins): no days off. Arians: see you on Wednesday.
    Belichick (on pre-season games and playing his starters into the 3rd quarters): we need the work. Arians: this is camp cupcake.

BTW, daves...you might be surprised to hear this, but Belichick actually is a very humble guy. Yes he is terse with the media and it comes across as arrogance, but the media in New England is so much more ubiquitous, hyper-critical and demanding than the media in Arizona that Belichick does his best to keep them at bay. However, each Thursday night on CBS Belichick does a 30 minute show with the sports guys wherein he talks about the last game, talks about the new opponent and breaks down film. You should hear BB talk about each opponent and see how he breaks down film -- I have never heard a coach be more respectful of other teams and the challenges they present. His film breakdowns are textbook (as you might imagine), but he doesn't bash any of his own players or the opponents, he suggests that they got outmaneuvered on the play or understandably influenced by play fake, etc. For the whole 30 minutes he is incredibly kind, soft-spoken and mindful of how challenging the next game is going to be. There is a level of commitment and sincerity to BB that is extraordinary. I think the number one secret to BB's success is his exemplary level of respect and humility when it comes to the history of the game, building teamwork, treating the officials with respect and honoring the day to day process of running a football team.

What irks me most about BA is his lack of respect...and this is why I started souring on him two years ago when it became clear that BA crosses lines that never should be crossed and never does a "mea culpa" afterward. He has no sense of self-accountability...only that he is great (as are his coaches) but he is surrounded by players who lack proper motivation and work ethic or who are failures in progress...and that he has to work in a league with ridiculous schedule makers and outrageously incompetent referees.

daves likes this.
  11. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

Let's re-title this to "I want to complain about Bruce Arians"

masterphomeg likes this.
  12. cardfaninfl

cardfaninfl Demographically significant

That was so 4 pages ago. Now its "I want to blow Bill Belichick".

TJ, Dan H, masterphomeg and 2 others like this.
  13. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

Like Jeff, I read the book, enjoyed it, and it left me wanting more.

I also think Chris, his wife who seems to be an incredible woman, could write a terrific book.

cardncubfan and daves like this.
  14. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

I guess that I'm the only guy who has heard Arians' say, "we've got to do a better job coaching" - from the podium after a loss.

15. kerouac9

kerouac9 Blocked by @Cardschatter

It might be time to lock this thread down. Not much productive football conversation going on here.

Four more days to training camp!

cardncubfan and MrYeahbut like this.