Ayton's Ceiling

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Chris_Sanders, May 13, 2018.

1. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

That would happen to the Suns...We finally draft our franchise center and he shows up on day one with no legs!

2. Lefty

Lefty Registered

Ayton = David Robinson.

3. hcsilla

hcsilla Registered User

I disagree. His floor is Valanciunas, IMO.

4. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Dems fighting words around here.

I will admit. Ayton looks like David Robinson. His frame and the way he carries himself. As far as his game. . . we will see.

5. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

A note on the David Robinson comparison:

Ayton will be in his fifth season by the time he reaches the age Robinson was as a rookie.

6. WildBB

WildBB BB - BIG BIRD

Yeah, he's got a ways to go before he's Shaq.

That said you've got to take the flyer on him and have a VERY good hard nosed b/u center not named Bender.

7. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

Chandler is actually a good backup in Ayton's rookie year, using Bender as our 3rd string Center. Chandler should be able to play all out for 15-20 minutes a game while Ayton learns his way in the NBA. Who knows, Chandler could be worth retaining as an Assistant Coach after this year to stick around and mentor Ayton longer. Tyson is a former DPOY and should be able to help Ayton find his way in the league. He's under contract for $13 million anyways, I don't see the Suns being able to unload that in a trade this summer.

BC867 and GatorAZ like this.
  8. Folster

Folster The system doesn't work.

We seem to agree that Ayton's ceiling is Robinson or Olajuwan. He may not realize that potential obviously, but it's there.

Fran Fraschilla, ESPNs Euro and college analyst/expert compared Doncic's ceiling to a combo of Gordon Hayward and Manu Ginobli.

Now we can discuss their floors and it is a worthwhile discussion to be had, but there is no comparison of upside between the two.

9. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I don't get the Hakeem comparison at all, what made him so good on offense was his incredible quickness, and that the NBA allowed the dreamshake even though it was a walk, Atyon is a terrific athlete but he's not even REMOTELY as quick as Hakeem was. Robinson is a much better comparison offensively IMO. Defensively he wasn't nearly as good in college but then Robinson played 3 years, and Robinson played his natural position defensively in college, Ayton was trying to play the 4.

GatorAZ likes this.
  10. WildBB

WildBB BB - BIG BIRD

I'd prefer Len as a b/u, but he'll want starter $$ even though he hasn't earned that yet. But your right they would'nt get anything for Chandler at this point other then a late 2nd, mtl.

11. az jam

az jam Registered User

Good point. Chandler should be a good mentor for him during his rookie year.

JS22 likes this.
  12. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

I think that’s a lazy “he’s white and euro” comp. He’s not as athletic as either Hayward or Manu.

13. JS22

JS22 Say Vandelay!

Thabeet? Really?

14. JS22

JS22 Say Vandelay!

He's 7'1 250/260 at 19 years old. He has a chance to get even bigger. Height / strength / athleticism is never going to be a concern for him, even against profession players.

Most bigs come into the league needing to put on 20+ lbs. He's already there at 19 years old. He's probably going to be a monster when he's 22/23.

15. Folster

Folster The system doesn't work.

I don't know. The knock on Hayward was his athleticism when he was coming out of Butler and whether he'd be able to guard more athletic wings. The ESPN analyst said Doncic has comparable athleticism to Hayward with the basketball IQ of Ginobli.