Awful Sheriff #230938745

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Kel Varnsen, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Yes. You still need the law enforcement, just not an independent agency.

2. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

What, fundamentally, is the purpose behind having an independently elected sheriff?

3. Dback Jon

Any more? Not sure. At one time, it was probably the first or only official in a jurisdiction.

4. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

I know it comes from the old English system; but in England you really didn't have a government beyond the Crown and the nobles.

5. Dback Jon

https://www.usnews.com/news/politic...id-clarke-and-why-the-us-still-elect-sheriffs

Supporters of electing sheriffs say the process makes them more accountable to the public, upholding the American tradition of checks and balances by providing a counterweight to police chiefs and the politicians who appoint them. Detractors, including legal scholars, contend the system makes sheriffs too susceptible to the whims of public pressure and voters' fear of crime, especially each election cycle.

British colonists brought the concept of sheriffs to the American colonies. Around 1,000 years ago, "reeves" were charged with patrolling and collecting taxes in British shires. These shire-reeves eventually became known as sheriffs.

The elected position appears to have officially taken root stateside in 1651, when colonists in Virginia first chose a sheriff. The practice of electing sheriffs spread from there.

There's little to no research that examines elected versus appointed sheriffs, partly because there are so few appointed sheriffs for comparison. But there are things we do know that concern some scholars: For one, just 41 sheriffs are women, according to the National Sheriffs' Association.

And while the association says it does not keep track of sheriffs by race, legal scholars believe the vast majority of elected sheriffs are white – reflecting the broader makeup of law enforcement generally, as well as the ranks of sworn personnel in sheriff's offices, which federal statistics show were nearly 80 percent white in 2013.

That also closely follows the trend among elected prosecutors, 95 percent of whom were white in 2014, and 83 percent of whom were men, a report by the left-leaning Women Donors Network found.

6. DutchmanAZ

DutchmanAZ Registered

How many sheriffs are gay?

7. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

It never ends. This party is a magnet for the worst we have to offer.

8. Kel Varnsen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. Kel Varnsen

10. Kel Varnsen

LVG likes this.
  11. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

Dude has a severe case of Clayton Bigsby-itis.

12. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...heriff-caught-on-tape-killing-suspect-lawsuit

Tennessee sheriff taped saying 'I love this s**t' after ordering suspect's killing

Tue 6 Feb 2018

A Tennessee sheriff is being sued for using excessive force after he was recorded boasting he had told officers to shoot a man rather than risk damaging police cars by ramming him off the road.

“They said ‘we’re ramming him,’” Sheriff Oddie Shoupe of White County said on tape in the aftermath of the killing of suspect Michael Dial. “I said, ‘Don’t ram him, shoot him.’ F**k that s**t. Ain’t gonna tear up my cars.” Shoupe arrived on the scene shortly after police had shot Dial at the conclusion of a low-speed chase, clearly upset he had missed the excitement.

[​IMG]
    Sheriff Oddie Shoupe.
    “I love this s**t,” Shoupe said, apparently unaware that his comments were being picked up by another deputy’s body-worn camera. “God, I tell you what, I thrive on it. “If they don’t think I’ll give the damn order to kill that MF'er they’re full of s**t,” he added, laughing. “Take him out,” he said.

Shoupe’s comments have prompted a federal lawsuit from Dial’s widow, Robyn Dial, alleging the use of excessive force against her late husband, who was unarmed.

“It was not only inappropriate but also unconscionable for Defendant Shoupe to give the order to use deadly force,” the filing states, calling his decision proof of a “malicious and sadistic mindset”. The suit also names the county, the city of Sparta and the two officers who fired their weapons. “The comments as seen on the video are extremely disturbing. I’m not sure how anybody can thrive on the taking of a life, let alone somebody in law enforcement,” Dial’s attorney David Weissman told the Guardian.

Deputies tried using a PIT (Pursuit Intervention Technique) maneuver to slow Dial’s car, a common police tactic involving a police car nudging another vehicle to turn it sideways. But Shoupe radioed officers to tell them to stop attempting to do that, instead ordering them to shoot the driver.

When a deputy had successfully nudged Dial off the road, Reserve Deputy Adam West, who was in pursuit in his own personal vehicle, fired three shots as the vehicle went down into a ditch. Dial died of a gunshot wound to the head.

LVG likes this.
  13. Dback Jon

Sickening

14. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

I think he should be criminally charged.

But in a civil context, it would be a small reparation if the estate could recover all of Mr. Shoupe's property, including his house, cars, personal property, retirement, investments, and whatnot, so that Mr. Shoupe is left without a dime to his name.

LoyaltyisaCurse and Dback Jon like this.
  15. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse Chad's got nothing on me!

My god! Police car more valuable than a human life?