ASU OC search

Discussion in 'Arizona State' started by Gaddabout, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Gaddabout

Gaddabout Plucky Comic Relief Contributor

If what I'm being told is true (I'm not at all certain at this point), the next OC will be ...

Noel Mazzone. Mao gets to tell me "I told you so." (I'm prepared to eat nasty crow on this one. I'm aghast.)

If true, I'm officially on the Fire Erickson bandwagon. I just want to get on ahead of time because Mazzone is a career coach killer.

2. HooverDam

HooverDam Registered User

Good God I hope and pray thats not true, that would be absolutely awful news.

But there were 'strong' rumors about Larry Marmie and Mike Martz coming in as offensive coordinators as part of a coaching trio (I forget who the alleged HC was supposed to be) before Erickson was hired, so lets hope this is just as silly of a rumor.

3. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Erickson needs to raid his old college and take Idaho OC/former NAU HC Steve Axman - one of the best offensive minds in college football.

4. Gaddabout

I know Steve well. He was interviewed, but at the time they said they were looking for a recruiter (read: younger man). No better QB coach in the country.

5. MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub What Goes Around Comes Around

How is Mazzone considered a younger coach by Erickson? I would imagine Lisa Love's gotta have some say in this. Not going to say I told you so because I've been following enough coaching searches recently to know that many names that surface in the last week often are a smokescreen.

6. Gaddabout

He's younger by about nine years, I believe. More importantly, Mazzone is a FOD. He will be Olson II.

7. ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS ONE HEART BEAT!!!

Unbelievable, another step backward for the program. Wake me up when DE is fired so we can try and get the rebuilding process started. DE has been an unmitigated disaster and continues to prove that the game has passed him by.

8. MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub What Goes Around Comes Around

Looks official. Wondering why it took over a month to hire an old friend that had been banished to coordinating a high school offense but whatever. I guess I told you so, it looks like this might be Dennis Erickson's Waterloo similar to Lute's hiring of Miles Simon.

Taking a month to grab a guy that was fired from his last four jobs? Not good.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  9. AsUdUdE

AsUdUdE Registered

:bang:

10. PoolBoy

PoolBoy BIRDGANG

maybe he was coaching the jets and had to wait til the season was over? (no sarcasm, i honestly don't know) you guys follow this kind of stuff more than i do (coaching searches, recruiting, etc) so i won't pretend to know about the guy.

11. HooverDam

HooverDam Registered User

He wasnt with the Jets this year.

He was a High School coach.

[​IMG]

12. PoolBoy

PoolBoy BIRDGANG

yikes....

13. PoolBoy

PoolBoy BIRDGANG

14. Gaddabout

Kelly Stouffer? That is no claim for a QB coach. Stouffer was hailed as a physical standout, tall, athletic, with a big arm, but very unpolished. Rivers is a Norm Chow prodigy. In no way can Mazzone take credit for him. Mazzone walked into an offense that was already a well-oiled machine with a polished and talented four-year starter at QB

But if you REALLY want the skinny on Mazzone, read The Blind Side. The author rips him a few new ones, detailing how Mazzone wasted NFL talent with play-calling that at best was "curious" and "puzzling."

I predict another year of the three-and-out machine.

15. ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS ONE HEART BEAT!!!

That's just what the program needs, to be bad is one thing, to be bad and boring, that's a killer in a fair weather fan base. Dirk wasn't able to take ASU to the next level, but he always kept things interesting offensively. It'll take a couple years to rid ourselves of DE and his old man stink that is permeating the program.