Arlo Security Cameras

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Beaver, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

It only records in 10 second blocks so lets say I was working on my doorbell for 5 minutes, there would be 30 recordings.

2. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

interesting, sounds like it could be a big pain in the ass but I guess it is rare that you would actually need the recordings and have to splice a few together to send to authorities or something.

Does it catch and record every car driving by so you are getting 30 recordings a day you have to look through?

3. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

I assume that is how it would work. I haven't stood there and let it record multiple times. I know there is a way to set a "non record" time during the day so you don't get notifications and recordings when you don't want. For example, when I leave for work at 7:00 it catches me and I can set 7:00-7:05 as a no record time.

It would record every car going by but I don't have it pointed at the street. I think you can set the sensitivity also. There has been a couple times where I got a notification and watched the video and there was nothing on it. Maybe a bug, I'm not sure.

4. BigRedRage

interesting,

One main reason I want to get cameras is to see the front of the house and the vehicles, it would have to also see the street to do so. I wonder if I would end up just ignoring alerts until I notice something has been tampered with or broken in to and then reviewing video at that time rather than being more vigilent of reviewing my alerts.

5. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

The great thing about it is you can mount them anywhere. I could mount one in a tree in my front yard and get the front door and my truck in the driveway if I wanted.

I will say the sensitivity needs adjusted, it is raining here today and I have received 3 alerts from the camera picking up water droplets. I adjusted the sensitivity to see what happens.

BigRedRage likes this.
  6. BigRedRage

thanks for the updates. I am likely buying this and for some reason your input is a major factor right now :)

7. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

Haven't had any notifications since adjusting sensitivity. You can also turn them off from your phone when doing things around the house. I was doing some work outside yesterday and my phone had 28 notifications! Wasting the battery that way.

BigRedRage likes this.
  8. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

Apparently they are coming out with the arlo pro cameras that have rechargeable batteries and another solar version. #1 complaint is battery life. cr123a arent that cheap. wonder why they chose to use that battery type.

BigRedRage likes this.
  9. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

also learned you can adjust the record time to different lengths. 10 seconds is just the default.

BigRedRage likes this.
  10. Shaggy

Shaggy Site Owner Administrator Staff Member

Where did you see this news?

Edit: Wow, I will be willing to wait a few more weeks for this to come out! Looks 1000 times better then the normal Arlos.

http://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/default.aspx?cid=us-arlo-fb

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  11. BigRedRage

Awesome.

I am currently looking for a new home so plan to get that before deciding how many cameras I will need.

12. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

If you don't need them to be on battery, you could also look into these:

http://www.izoncam.com/

My whole family is using them for home security and they even monitor their new baby with one. They even caught the dog snoozing on the bed when they were away. :lol:

Fairly inexpensive and easy to set up. The bad reviews are usually just bad units that get replaced pretty easily.

I suppose if you hooked it to a USB battery/charger you could set it up without an outlet. It comes with a plug that the USB power cable goes into.

I have four that I bought on sale at Monoprice.

13. BigRedRage

seems like more of a baby monitor type thing?

14. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Sure, it's great for that.

In my case, I have one on each entrance into my home. I pull up the app and I can see every image live. I can also "arm" them so that any motion or sound alerts my phone and I can see if someone broke in or if the cat jumped up on breakfast bar again.

Any motion or sound "event" is recorded to the cloud and I can then view the 10 second clip and see what happened. If motion continues, more events are recorded. I believe you can save up to 50 events before they want you to subscribe and pay for more space. I just clean off events daily and it's not an issue.

BigRedRage likes this.
  15. BigRedRage

Do you have them outside? Could a person walk up and unplug them?