Arlo Security Cameras

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Beaver, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

Anyone have experience with these? They are the only battery operated, wireless security camera on the market. I've had a couple fake cameras on my house for a few years now but prices have gone down enough to justify purchasing real cameras.

2. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

Curious also, I bought a security system and tried crawling my 6'5 frame through my attic and fell through the ceiling in my garage. Wire free is the way to be. It has good reviews on Amazon

3. BigRedRage

been reading reviews on it for 20 minutes, there are always negative ones but they are overwhelmingly positive. Very intrigued...

The most concerning negative one I just read is that the batteries are expensive and arlo voids your warranty if you use rechargeable batteries, this would be important to confirm.

4. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

i
    oh wow. I just threw up some sheets of plywood in my attic above my garage and added two light outlets while I was up there. Wish I would have a 110V plug in too. If I do that I could buy any wireless cameras and run to the plug in.

5. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

I learned yesterday that my in laws use the Arlo to watch their place in Mexico. I will have to ask my FIL how he likes it.

6. BigRedRage

yeah i decided to wing it without that and my weight shifted for about and 18th of a second onto the drywall and I came crashing down. It was comical.

7. BigRedRage

check up on the battery thing too please. I read they standard batteries last much longer in warm weather which is nice but I am curious about the whole rechargeable batteries voiding warranties thing

8. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

How would they even know if you used rechargeable?

9. BigRedRage

Apparently they are a fire hazard?

"may void the warranty"

sounds like you just need to make sure you buy high end rechargeable batteries.

10. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

I'll get the scoop on Arlo cameras from the FIL this weekend.

BigRedRage likes this.
  11. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

So we talked about it last night and he has had no issues with the batteries running out so far. They have been installed for 6 months or so and they have a pool guy and maid that comes everyday and it turns the cameras on multiple times every time. He bought a pack of the non rechargeable CR123A and hasen't used them yet.

Think I will pull the trigger on the 2 pack in the next week or so. Wife doesn't want cameras in the house and anything in the backyard the dogs will set off all day, so my setup is just one on the porch aiming at the door and one on the side of the house aimed at the gate.

BigRedRage likes this.
  12. Shaggy

Shaggy Site Owner Administrator Staff Member

Love to get some feedback Beaver when you get them. Want some cameras in alot of areas at my new house and wireless would work out well. My question is, can these cameras be plugged in if near a outlet?

13. BigRedRage

If plugging in, you can buy much cheaper ones. I am eyeing these only because of the wireless features

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

14. kps0001

kps0001 Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!

I was looking at these as well since my house was broken into last week. I was concerned about having to replace the batteries quite often since it is so hot here. Also was concerned with the footage being cloud stored and not on a local hard drive in my house and not sure if there is an extra charge for the cloud storage or how long the footage is stored. I am still considering these though.

15. BigRedRage

I don't remember the recording time specs but they are in the Amazon listing. Also says cold is a concern for batteries, not heat

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk