Arizona Wildcats Football [2015]

Discussion in 'University of Arizona' started by TimurT1990, Sep 20, 2015.

1. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

Jake Matthew will be out for ASU with a lisfranc injury.

I know it seems like Scooby is pulling a Gronk, but it'd be nice if he were to give it a go on Saturday.

2. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

The defenses played their butts off in the 2nd half. I was very happy to see that. Having Scooby back would be great but he should probably leave.

Offense will be fine whether RR is here or not. I don't imagine a new HC completely changing everything. I really like Dawkin's running ability.

3. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

Rich Rod kinda acted like this was his last Territorial Cup game. What do you guys think, is he out the door or what?

4. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

Where's he going to go?

He's not in the Top 3 for Va Tech

WVU wont take him back.

The assistant AD at South Carolina was at Michigan when RichRod was there, and she was punished when the team was sanctioned by the NCAA. Why would she feel comfortable being with RichRod again?

Miami is a death sentence. Those cokehead boosters stuck in the 90s and early 2000s are going to expect a coach to come in and win now. Not RichRod's style.

I guess Maryland might be an option, but unless they money-whip him, why would RichRod go there?

RichRod's market value is greatly overexaggerated when you consider that a) he still has the stench of the UM/WVU fiasco linger and b) he hasn't won big yet at Arizona. Most of the articles you've seen are click bait as RichRod is still a recognizable name in the coaching ranks and is very well networked.

5. Absolute Zero

OK then TJ, I'll take your word for it. It just seems like every time I turn on the radio, there is Rich Rod to Va Tech buzz, bla bla bla.

6. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

Don't get me wrong, he was (is?) interested; but Fedora, Fuente, and Chad Morris are in the Top 3.

Frankly, the Phoenix/ASU media is going to make sure this thing cycles for as long as it can to damage UofA's reputation and harm its ability to recruit. Example, the Scott Bordow article that came out last weekend as soon as all of the chatter started to quiet down. The same day that Greg Hansen reported that two people in the AD confirmed with him that Rodriguez is staying.

7. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Modster is a beautiful passer. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2706747/highlights/285948473/v2

Is he coming early?

8. MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub What Goes Around Comes Around

Partially true that for whatever reason the Phoenix media is really keen on pushing the Rich Rod to _______ agenda. However Rodriguez himself has used several openings over last few years to leverage a new raise or other thing at Arizona. I think he knows it's basically impossible to win big at a program like UA so I have no issues with him keeping an eye out for bigger jobs.

However UA probably has no interest in going through this song and dance every offseason. With Miller it's known - he'd consider leaving for UNC or Duke or Kansas or the NBA but that's it. No stressing unless one of those jobs come open. If he elects to go I'm not going to lose a tremendous amount of sleep over it as long as Byrne is in the fold.

Personally I just want a coach who's quiet (no more hashtags and youtube videos), understands the Arizona job and it's strengths and limitations (let ASU fans delude themselves into pipe dreams that they can win a national title), and has a short list of places they'd go but ultimately wants to build a successful program.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  9. Absolute Zero

Good points, fair enough.

Although the high expectations approach didn't pan out this year for ASU, it will pay dividends in the long run. Our returning players will work even harder now in the offseason, and hopefully the coaches will do so as well with their planning and their recruiting. We have already seen some very positive signs in the in State recruiting.

There is a lot of support behind the "high expectations" approach to achievement in general. I think it carries over to sports and football as well. If you set high goals, you may not always achieve them. But there's a good chance you will end up achieving more than you would have with lesser standards.

The flip side philosophy is learning to be content with your situation no matter what, don't expect great things, and you will not be disappointed and have greater peace. I like some aspects of this school of thought, especially the contentment and peace parts. But it is not the way to go for a competitive football team.

10. MaoTosiFanClub

There's a fine line between setting high expectations and having your mouth write checks that your ass can't cash.

11. Absolute Zero

I am sure that winning the Territorial Cup was on the list of "high expectations" for both ASU and UofA the last 4 years, so....

12. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

Problem with conservative recruiting tactics is that both Arizona schools have no success to fall back on. Saban and Meyer can walk into a recruit's house, lay a few championship rings on the coffee table, and say, "want one of these?" To compensate, Arizona is almost forced to use things like social media and videos to peak the curiosity of some recruits. Following some of these recruits, they have an almost unhealthy obsession with social media; whether it be Twitter, YouTube, Vine, etc. If you're trying to get their attention, might as well play into their wheel house. At least Rodriguez doesn't use a "Boom Copter"

If richrod leaves, we need a coach with west coast ties and great relationships with Arizona and SoCal highschools.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  13. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

14. MaoTosiFanClub

Please tell me the 3-3-5 is out.

15. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

Hope so, but wouldn't count on it. I hope we get a DC who's willing to hit the recruiting trail. Casteel didnt do any recruiting.

IMO, talent > scheme. Even the Cardinals have a few 3-3-5 packages and play it well.