Arizona Basketball 2017-18'

Discussion in 'University of Arizona' started by GatorAZ, Aug 13, 2017.

1. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Was Melton that good to begin with?

I see that Thorton is missed some games but Metu and their Sr backcourt haven't missed any time. No excuse for them losing to Princeton at home. Maybe they bought into their own hype...

2. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

The PAC-12 is a mess, again.

3. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I love Melton he's one of those do everything kids, plays defense, rebounds, passes, not a great shooter but a good overall player and a glue guy.

FWIW the loss to Princeton was terrible but they were missing 4 players the whole game. Boatwright didn't play, Jonah Matthews didn't play, Thornton didn't play and Melton didn't play. During the game Rakocevic hurt his knee and sat, he did come back in but it's not clear how serious his knee is. So they were short 4.5 players in that game, still losing to a sub 500 team at home was bad.

I do think the only chance they had to resurrect their season and be a factor in the Pac 12, was getting Melton back, and it appears that's gone

4. Russ Smith

Going to be a fascinating offseason, I think both UCLA and USC may make coaching changes if this persists.

5. GatorAZ

This is about to turn into fans hoping ristic gets hurt because they know Miller will never change.

6. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Bad loss.

7. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

Is what it is. Not too upset, tbh. Seems like this team needed a wake up call.

I will say, it's pretty irresponsible of the conference to have a Thursday night game in Utah and then turnaround to play a Saturday noon game in Boulder. The Mountain road trip is rough as it is due to the elevation, but to do that to the road team is a dick move.

8. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

ASU played Thursday night in Boulder and plays tomorrow in Utah...

9. Russ Smith

Remember when UA hired Romar there was speculation part of it was for him to be a go between with the players and Miller because they thought Miller's personality wore on the players? Will be an interesting test now, Romar is very close to Trier and if you watched the game today Trier pretty clearly checked out after Miller lit him up in the first half for jacking up a long 3 when it looked like he could have easily driven in closer.

I think he took maybe 3-4 shots the last 30 minutes of the game, one of those was that fast break where he lost his footing took 4 steps without a walk call and as he was falling down flipped the ball up and it went in.

Crazy year in the conference, not a single unbeaten team left and nobody has played more than 4 games.

I continue to marvel at how good Ayton is on offense. back to back trips he gets the ball at the high post in the zone, first time he calmly drills a 15 footer, the next time he fakes does a modified dream shake from about 15 feet away gets all the way to the rim and lays it in. I immediately said walk watching it live and they showed the replay and he did NOT walk, totally clean play he's just so long that he got to the rim from the foul line on a reverse pivot move without walking. His defense seems to be getting better too.

10. GatorAZ

Trier pouts without pouting the same way Kobe used to by being passive. I wondered before the season how he'd handle Ayton being the man but he chose to come back anyway. As hot as he can get I'm ready for him to move on. They just don't make an impact if the ball isn't going thru the hoop. Rawle plays with energy regardless of his offense.

It doesn't help when PJC looks like DIII player out there either. Brandon Williams is apparently balling out this year.

11. Russ Smith

I almost said today Trier reminded me of one of Kobe's you think I'm a ball hog ok I won't shoot at all I'll show you games.

Last year Kobi Simmons went into a funk when Trier came back, this year it kind of seems like Trier is doing it since Alkins came back. He was really good against ASU I guess but he had a terrible trip to the Mountains, 15 points in the 2 games combined.

UA has 3 future pros in the starting lineup a high lottery Ayton, and Alkins and Trier are both borderline first rounders, but there just doesn't seem to be chemistry right now. i agree on PJC btw, 2 points 0-6 with Colorado openly daring him to shoot the whole game. He got 8 assists but half of those were tossing the ball up to Ayton who turned around and made a jumpshot. You don't need him to be a big scorer but he can't let teams just flat out not guard him.

It's still easily the most talented team Miller has ever had, he just has to figure out how to get them to play together.

personally I think he ought to go the Duke route the year Coach K played Winslow at the 4, he should bring Ristic off the bench and play Alkins, Trier, PJC and I guess Smith or Randolph. Should help the defense and Ayton can get all the rebounds. There are not a lot of college 4's that Alkins can't guard

12. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Agree

13. Russ Smith

Clearly I'm not the only one wondering if Sean Miller's personality is not meshing with this team, since he went on live tv after the game and said I can't get this team to play hard for me, I can't get them to buy in and play. If they don't do it we're going to keep getting out butts kicked.

The thing is, that's what I've always said about calipari, I don't think he's a good X and O coach by any stretch but he's REALLY good at getting a team of mostly freshmen 5 star mercenaries who all think they're 1 and dones, to play hard, and play together.

Miller's roster this year is by far the best roster he's had, but it's very much a Calipari type roster, very few team guys, PJC, Alkins, and Pinder who he barely plays those are the guys that really dig in and play hard consistently. I think Miller is getting Ayton to play harder but not consistently yet. These are not the type of kids he got at Xavier, they're not the types of kids he got early on at Arizona. He had this issue with Stanley Johnson, he had this issue with Kobi Simmons, and now he's having it with Trier and others, it's not coincidence, those kids are not easy to coach. Calipari is really good at it, even Coach K at Duke is finding out that this year it's hard to get certain types of kids to buy in and play hard consistently.

He's still got time to get it out of them but that's really the challenge for him, find a rotation that he can get to play harder on defense, it's why I htink he needs to go small and bring Ristic off the bench

14. GatorAZ

He's starting to sound like a joke. You can't turn bad defenders into good defenders but you can at least try something different when everyone and their mother sees the exact same combination of players failing. A top-5 paid HC can't be unwilling to adjust. He's turning into Howland w/o the results in March,

15. Ouchie-Z-Clown

I didn’t see or hear the quotes but I read them. And in reading them it comes off like he’s just losing it. Who makes these comments about kids in the press and expects to get them back? I don’t get this tactic at all.

I’m happy that Miller resurrected the program, and he’s brought in excellent talent, but with his failures to reach a final four and this confounding season and his comments I’m losing confidence in him.