Arizona Basketball 2017-18'

Discussion in 'University of Arizona' started by GatorAZ, Aug 13, 2017.

1. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

I'm probably the only one who follows Aggies basketball on the board. But, from their point of view, the G play on offense lost the game. Collectively, it was easily the worst shooting game for Starks, Wilson, Caldwell and Gilder this season. That allowed UofA to stay tight in the paint. And, the fouls were a bit lopsided I thought. Kentucky would have had more free throws than A&M, for sure.

2. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

A&M only shot 14 3's in the whole game, out of 57 total shots. It wasn't like they were just hoisting long shots and that's why they didn't get to the line. Some of it was Williams was such a non factor on offense but some of it was just they didn't get any calls.

I will say this, Davis clearly walked prior to Ayton fouling him on that key late play where they correctly called the walk. The coach seemed to be arguing that call but it was clearly the right call, I guess he saw Ayton there and forgot to dribble the ball.

I'm just amazed the game was that close, it was largely defense A&M had 10 steals and 5 blocks. they shot a decent % from 2 and 3, and kept UA from having big runs.

Tough break for the kid at the end the shot nearly went down and then he misses the first FT and then trying to miss the last one he accidentally made it cementing the loss.

3. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

It was clearly a walk by Davis. He seemed a bit surprised by the pass I thought. Like he already thought of rebound but Wilson dumped it off.

4. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

The UNLV win saved the season. Had they lost that game in OT, after being swept in the Bahamas, could've mailed it in big time from there on out.

Trier is one of the most overrated players to come thru Tucson. Really looking forward to Rawle returning.

5. Russ Smith

I'm guessing that after the 3 losses Miller took a step back and said we can't keep being this 2 dimensional just Trier and Ayton. It hasnt' seemed to bother Ayton, but Trier has only had 1 good(really good against UNLV) game and 1 mediocre and 1 bad game since. Trier's offense is so geared towards getting to the foul line, when the refs don't keep calling fouls he struggles.

I suspect UNLV is better than we realize, and I know A&M is good so 2 quality wins.

6. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Ayton was very impressive last night - the only Wildcat that really stood out consistently.

7. TJ

TJ Buy the Hype

Aggies are one of few teams that can match the size and physicality of Arizona. It wasn't a great matchup for us, especially for a team who's seemingly looking for its identity. I'm impressed that despite missing a grip of open shots, the team never quit. Perhaps the UNLV was the pivot for the rest of the season and that the team can now start playing like the #2 team in the country.

Beat Alabama and we should be back in the Top-25.

8. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Other than two awful passes I thought Dylan smith looked fairly good. So did Barcello. He’s got a nice feel for the game. I can see him staying for awhile and being a rock for Miller to lean upon.

9. GatorAZ

So much for him possibly being held out due to the FBI stuff.

10. Russ Smith

Yeah I think it's clear Arizona is not going to voluntarily sit anybody like SC is doing with Melton. They're all in on we're playing everyone until the NCAA tells us we can't play them.

Assuming the Sexton suspension is the standard the NCAA is going with, the 2 kids who agreed to use the agent but didn't get any money, would get 1 game like Sexton did. Alkins presumably being the one who already got paid would have to sit more games but it would depend on how much he got, and it's not clear the NCAA knows that yet.

11. Russ Smith

Speaking of Melton it appears possible he'll be cleared to play in the Oklahoma game tonight. It hasn't been decided yet but there's some innuendo that his attorney thinks he's about to be cleared. The FBI story said that their agent gave Dawkins an envelope with 5K in it before a meeting with Dawkins, Sood, and Melton family friend David Elliott. Then Dawkins gave the money to Elliott. The attorney found restaurant camera footage of the meeting at a hotel restaurant near LAX, it shows the FBI agent put the envelope on the table near Elliott, but he never grabbed it. At the end of the meeting, Dawkins the agent grabs the money and leaves. The FBI story insists Elliott got the money, so they presumably are saying Dawkins gave it to Elliott after the meeting, but it's inconsistent with what's in the story that Dawkins got the money before the meeting, and gave it to Elliott during the meeting. Elliott insists he got no money.

Melton appears likely to be cleared because the video appears to confirm what he's said all along, if anybody got money, he didn't know about it and had no involvement, he wasn't there, Elliott didn't take the money at the meeting, if he got it later there's no way to prove Melton knew. He's already sat 6 games which is likely close enough to the NCAA threshold for 5K that they might just reinstate him tonight.

12. GatorAZ

After the Bahamas I thought SC would run away with the conference but now they're going the opposite direction and AZ has won 4 straight. ASU will be right there too.

That was Ayton's best performance so far.

13. Russ Smith

Ayton was unreal last night. Farnham nailed it on that one play where the bama kid intentionally fouled him to prevent Ayton from rebounding over the top of him and dunking it in, what can you do against a guy that big and strong your best bet is to foul him.

Bama is very athletic but man for an NBA guy Avery Johnson's offense leaves lots to be desired, that kid Petty was jacking ridiculous shots. Seemed like an NBA coach would have gone even more to the matchups since it was obvious nobody could keep Sexton out of the lane.

Alkins looked rusty but you can see his passing is going to help