Arizona Basketball 2017-18'

Discussion in 'University of Arizona' started by GatorAZ, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Highly skeptical on those reports it can't be 1 game for a plane ticket to Australia? I looked on expedia, from Arizona to Perth is about 2K round trip, about 1500 one way. That's way over the threshold of 1 game, it's at least 5 and more like 9 games if true.

G Tech has 2 guys suspended indefinitely that got far less than that and from a guy they claimed had no ties until he said he did. That much money from an assistant coach would be way more than 1 game I have to think.

2. Mr. Boldin

Mr. Boldin Mel Kiper's Daddy

It wasnt to Australia.

3. TJ

TJ Buy the Hype

Pinder also immediately paid Phelps back. Richard Jefferson got 2 games IIRC for Bill Walton giving him and Luke tickets to the NBA finals. It's all nonsense by the NCAA anyways.

4. Russ Smith

I've seen the posts on the boards I have no idea who the original source is on that part but it's pretty clear someone is telling them a version that tries to make it seem innoccuous and actually makes it seem worse. They are reporting that Phelps did not know it was against the rules, it wasn't Australia but somewhere "special" to Pinder, and he paid him back immediately upon returning.

The reality is it doesn't matter, if the NCAA had found out first they would have required him to pay the money back, which he apparently has, then sit out based on the amount of the ticket, so where he went matters due to cost. If the official ARizona excuse is that the assistant coaches are not aware of compliance rules to the extent they think they're allowed to loan plane tickets to players without getting prior approval from the compliance department then there's a much bigger issue and a total lack of compliance at Arizona.

I don't think arizona is that bad at compliance I think some insider got part of the story and tried to spin it in a light that sounded better to him, and doesn't realize that claiming Phelps doesn't know a basic rule like that actually makes it sound much worse.

A 1 game suspension to me implies the value of the ticket is under $500. If it's over 1000 we're talking 3-6 games.

I don't think it's a huge deal but blaming the NCAA for something like this is hard to follow, it's a basic rule you can't loan money or items of value to players. In special circumstances like a player has to fly home for a death in the family, the NCAA will grant waivers but you have to go through compliance. I hope for ARizona's sake their official excuse is not the coach didn't know the rules, that would look terrible.

5. TJ

TJ Buy the Hype

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think there's a bracket out there that says X amount of money/cash value gets X punishment.

I blame the NCAA for being overly punitive with benign situations. IMO, the NCAA lost institutional control years ago, and the silver lining of this FBI investigation is that it will be exposed on a grand stage. Rules are needed, but common sense is as well, and I don't think the NCAA understands what common sense is.

6. Russ Smith

There's a guideline, based on the amount. That's why in the Georgia Tech case the guy who gave the money came out and said Pastner is lying about the amounts, he thinks Pastner is underselling how much it was so he could give out a lesser suspension.

I don't think there's a searchable PDF we can all look at but they tend to do suspensions based in 3 game chunks when money is involved. When Selby was suspended at KU it turned out to be 9 games and the NCAA said he took nearly 5K, that was in 2010.

I took this from an Atlanta Journal Constitution article on the Georgia Tech suspensions.

"The NCAA’s guidelines for reinstatement have standards for the length of suspension based on the total value of the benefits. A benefit valued between $400 and $700 – which would appear to be where Jackson’s benefit falls – calls for a suspension of 20 percent of the regular season (six games) and repayment of the benefit.

A benefit of more than $700 – Okogie was determined to have received benefits totaling less than $750 – calls for a withholding of 30 percent of the season (nine games) and repayment."

It's considered preferential or extra benefits. Since Pinder apparently already paid it back that part is done. in the G Tech case they self reported and were hoping the NCAA would render a shorter suspension because of that. Okogie is actually injured he has a broken finger so they're suspending an injured player, Jackson is really the one they're hoping to get back earlier.

So my guess is Pinder is under $400 or else Arizona must have contacted the NCAA in advance and said we're self reporting this, he's already repaid it and got some agreement to a 1 game suspension.

7. Russ Smith

FWIW the NCAA announced that the 2 Ga Tech players are suspended for 3 and 6 games respectively, one took about 525 dollars, the 6 game kid took about 750 dollars. Both have fully paid it back.

I am convinced the reports about the plane ticket are wrong or Pinder flew some Southwest flight for about 100 bucks to get 1 game. My guess is the report of what he actually got was inaccurate I can't imagine in less than a week the NCAA would give him 1 game for a ticket to Australia from a coach and then 2 other kids 3 and 6 for less money.

8. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Trier is putting up insane numbers thru 3 games. Like historical level efficiency after this game.

Randolph has been underwhelming but he's young. Ira Lee and Alex Barcello have been better than expected.

9. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

If PHX cannot land a PG next year, I would think that transiting Booker to play PG and drafting a shooter like Trier to pair with him would really present a challenge for teams to defend two 6'5 - 6'6 guys who can really stretch the floor with their shooting.

10. Russ Smith

Trier was a really good shooter in HS, it surprised me his first 2 years his 3 point shooting wasn't better. This year he's off the charts and not only % but range, he's making 25 footers now. 59% from 3 so far, assists up again, TO's up too but he's scoring so much you can tolerate 2.3 TO's a game. So far he's as improved as anybody in the country. Admittedly the opponents are weak but the basket is the same height and size and he's shooting at a phenomenal clip.

NC State is 4-0 but against a weak schedule, I think they will be a better test but I don't see too much resistance.

11. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Suns a have 2-3 second rd picks. Wouldn't mind if they took a flyer on him.

We're hoping Rawle sees what coming back a third year did for Zo. I think Alkins's family isn't as well off fincancially as Trier's (well unless $ rumors are true) but he may not take the next step with a bad foot and Trier/Ayton getting most of the shots. Miller can sell him on being The Guy.

12. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Trier averages 30ppg the rest of the season and he won't be available in the 2nd round.

13. Russ Smith

I'm not sure what the Warriors draft situation is this coming year but I've said since they got Durant, don't be surprised if Trier winds up on the Warriors somehow.

Durant was a rookie in Seattle and met Trier through some people, Trier had made a bunch of youtube videos as a kid and wound up (unpaid) in a commercial with Carmelo Anthony. Somehow he and Durant met and that's why Trier sort of followed Durant across the country. Seattle moves the team to OKC, Trier leaves Seattle and enrolls in a home school league in OKC. Trier gets suspended, twice, for not having a legal guardian and some other stuff and then he leaves OKC and goes to Montrose Christian which was Durant's last prepschool in HS. After he committed to Arizona he transferred to Findlay Prep which Zona has a good relationship with for his senior year.

I think he's both good enough to make the roster, and close enough to Durant that it's entirely possibly they attempt to get him just to make sure they keep Durant happy.

But the way that he's playing now, he might not be on the board when they draft, I looked and they have their own pick.

14. TJ

TJ Buy the Hype

I highly doubt that’s going to be the case, though 22-23 isn’t out of the realm if possibility. I think Trier plays himself into the first round. Dude plays like an NBA vet right now. That foul on the 3PA was a veteran move

15. TJ

TJ Buy the Hype

Makes all the sense in the world, but I think he’s gonzo. I don’t think Rawle will ever play his way into the first round, but he’d automatically be the best player on next year’s team.