Arizona Basketball 2016-2017 Season

Discussion in 'University of Arizona' started by TJ, Nov 21, 2016.

1. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

If that's the case then taking Jeter was a no-brainer.

2. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Obviously, the game is much different now but the '97 title team had freshman phenom Bibby and the rest of the team were upperclassmen. UK's last title team had Anthony Davis and 5 other current NBA players but OAD dominant teams haven't seen the success they should because players feel the need to be the man and improve their draft stock, if they win a title that's icing on the cake.

3. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I'm sure this is the case with some players but on the whole I think it's less this than it is experience. The old adage "the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores" is very true.

4. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

And because of the AFAM scandal they missed on several elite recruits like Brandon Ingram, guys who would have gone OAD and cost them other recruits.

5. GatorAZ

I haven't read all the details but is UNC just not getting punished b/c they're a blue blood? The NCAA couldn't prove someone else took Derrick Rose' SAT's (even though everyone kinda knows it) and they had no problem yanking a F4 from them.

6. overseascardfan

UNC, Duke, UK, KU...all to big to fall. They bring in a lot of money for the NCAA, they won't sacrifice their cash cows.

7. Russ Smith

So far UNC's plan is working. Deny everything and figure the NCAA won't want to take down any titles.

The other thing is if you saw the latest defense from UNC that came out last week, they are saying beause so many non athletes took the courses too, it's not an athletic problem it's academic and outside the jurisdiction of the NCAA. they're actually saying those classes were so bogus you can't touch us.

If you look at the history one of the things that I've always believed is at some point UNC figured out people are going to catch on, we're going to get caught, and they started enrolling more and more real students. Even the assistant Crowder was steering non athletes into the classes. it's apparent to me they realized that was goign to be their best defense, if non athletes do it too, it's not extra benefits.

8. Russ Smith

The latest on Bagley is he has not informed Sierra Canyon if he's leaving or not, they're apparently expecting he will but he hasn't officially left. He told people over the weekend he's not planning on reclassifying but apparently it's still open, there's some talk UK is trying to get him to do it and attend UK this year even if it meant he wouldn't be eligible first semester in college.

He insists he's going to play a year in college so he seems to be denying the rumors he intends to just play overseas.

9. overseascardfan

Probably denying overseas rumors until everything is finalized. Good ol Dad is probably trying to get more money from a pro team by using college as leverage. If I were a pro team I would just say forget it, he'd only be there one year and then bolt anyways.

10. Russ Smith

The general feeling is often wrong, remember again this time last year the general feeling was Ayton was going pro.

With Bagley the dad works for Nike, he's his AAU coach, they're Nike sponsored and the dad gets paid by Nike. So there's this assumption that part of his recruitment revolves around Nike wanting him at a Nike school whereas that might not be the wish of the dad or the kid. When it seemed lots of people thought UCLA was the leader, that was one of the big questions, UCLA is Adidas moving to Under Armour, will the dad really go against Nike just to have him in LA? He'd get tons of exposure in Lexington or Tucson etc and be at a Nike school. So the latest that seems to be suggesting if he goes to college it's wide open again if you're a UCLA fan you immediately get told it's because Nike is asserting influence on the dad.

I think the general "fear" is the kid moves to Lexington, the whole family follows, he goes to UK and that's it. In that scenario he's supposedly going to reclass, enroll at UK and become eligible 2nd half of the season.

All these kids are getting money one way or another so I have a hard time believing playing a year in China is going to be much more money for him. I think the kids that do go pro are generally doing it to avoid school, or because like with Ferguson and Mudiay, because they probably couldn't go to a D1 school due to academics or in Mudiay's case apparently something else.

Just seems now the NCAA doesn't seem to really care. I think a kid could go live on Facebook and commit to a school with a bag of cash sitting in front of him and the NCAA would probably still let him play. They seem to have just completely abandoned the amateurism part.

I suspect the last straw there was the O'Bannon lawsuit.

11. GatorAZ

Arizona and Alabama to play in Tucson this year, @ Bama in 2018. PJC guarding Colin Sexton. :eek: