Arizona Basketball 2016-2017 Season

Discussion in 'University of Arizona' started by TJ, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

MJ Walker just picked Florida State. It wasn't as long as the Tony Parker one but maybe more ridiculous. He walked away from the table, then took off his suit with his back to the cameras so all you could see was a black t shirt. Then he faked turning around twice, then they did a count down, then he turned around covering the name. And finally he revealed Florida State.

According to Rothstein, UCLA is still in it for Bowen but I don't think that's really true.

2. Russ Smith

Bagley left Sierra Canyon, one rumor had him going to Mater Dei but latest rumor is he might go back to Arizona and go to Shadow Mountain.

Also lots of speculation he's going to bypass college altogether, that they decided not to reclassify because the easier move was one last year of HS, play pro 1 year in China or somewhere and then go to the draft.

3. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

This situation seems like a mess. He should've stayed at Corona and reclassified at some point.

He probably would've ended up at a Nike school like Kentucky. Seemed like AZ was never in front of that recruitment for whatever reason.

4. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

I don't know why kids do the overseas thing. They get paid but coaches aren't showcasing kids that are only there one year supplanting veterans on the team so these kids don't stand out that year. Look at Terrence Ferguson as the latest example, his stock didn't improve, he still looks like a late first round pick, maybe if he played college ball he could have had more exposure and could have improved his draft stock.

5. Russ Smith

Some think if he goes back to Arizona it bodes well for UA in the recruitment but again, it sounds more and more like college is not his first priority.

My guess is the schools recruiting him will continue to do so but I fully expect UCLA to really go hard after Jordan Brown and I assume UA and others will too.

It's pretty interesting it's quite likely Bagley and Bol will be 1 and 2 in the next rankings for the class, but right now it looks like neither kid is going to play in college. Bol apparently even after a year at Mater Dei is going to have academic qualifying issues, and with Bagley it appears he could qualify but might just not want to spend 8 months in college.

Bagley says he wants to commit early, if you're UK that's fine but for UCLA or Arizona it's a dicey thing, take a commit from him, lose any chance at Jordan Brown and then wind up with Bagley skipping college.

6. Russ Smith

I think it depends on the kid. Ferguson had no choice he wasn't qualifying that's at least what everyone believes to be the case.

Bagley is so good he doesn't really need to be showcased. He missed essentially his entire soph season in HS after transferring and nobody cared, played his junior year and now if he transfers within California he'll sit until January, if he goes to Arizona he doesn't have to sit. But honestly he could not play at all his senior year and still be the best player in the class. A year in China isn't going to change that. As long as he doesn't get hurt, he's the first overall pick in his draft IMO.

I'm sure it's the dad. He's paid by Nike now, he figures I could send him to UK but that's just another elite kid at UK. UCLA isn't Nike and then he has to pretend to be a student for 8 months at either school. Or I can send him to China or wherever, get paid.

Sierra Canyon was sort of a disaster so I can't fault him for pulling him out of there. That team had too many egos and the coaches had issues too, one of which was Bagley's father.

GatorAZ likes this.
  7. Russ Smith

Todays hot rumor is Bagley will relocate to Seattle and play for Brandon Roy but at Garfield HS not Nathan Hale HS where Roy coached the Porter brothers last year. not clear to me who that rumor would benefit if true, Romar is not at UW he's at UA so if he's going to steer Bagley to UA, why put him in Seattle unless he thinks Roy is the perfect guy to coach him and his brother before college?

But it's looking more and more like Bagley's not staying in California.

8. TJ

TJ The Chosen One

If Bagley wasn't so dominant, I'd say forget his ass. Christ, I hate this drama. Dude would've been fine staying at CDS.

9. Russ Smith

I'm in the same boat with UCLA but as you said he's just so damn good you have to be willing to deal with the circus in case he actually does play 1 year in college.

I'd be awfully tempted if I were Alford to just go all in on Jordan Brown and try to get him to commit but he's in a real pickle. For months now the rumor has been in LA, Bagley is going to UCLA, he may even reclass to 17 and come this year. So if Alford winds up just saying forget it and goes after Brown, he'll never hear the end of it from UCLA fans for not waiting for Bagley. Especially if he doesn't actually get Brown.

So he's sort of stuck he HAS to wait on Bagley.

From what you read it seems to me if I had to put money on it I think 1 or both of Bol and Bagley will skip college.

10. TJ

TJ The Chosen One

From what I've heard, Bol Bol has awful grades and might not even qualify. Bagley's grades are fine, but he might just want to get paid now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Russ Smith

Yep exactly what we're being told on UCLA boards, Bol's grades are bad, even Mater Dei probably can't fix it. And Bagley's dad wants him to get paid right away, that's why they didn't reclassify they just decided why do all that extra work when he can coast one more year in HS and then go play in China or something.

Too bad the kid is a freaking stud, he's a 3 inch taller without a bum knee Ed O'Bannon.

12. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Does UA have a legit shot at Jordan Brown? If they can land him then you take the sure thing, Brown is going to college. If Brown is a lock to UCLA then no harm in waiting for Bagley if you're Sean Miller unless there is another big other than Bol, Bagley or Brown. If I was Miller I would focus on kids that are good but 3 year players that way you don't have a lot of turnover and kids develop. Look at UNC, a lot of their guys from last year's title team are coming back so the continuity is there, UK is going to have to get all their 5 stars to put their ego and NBA auditions second to meshing together to win a title but will that happen?

13. Russ Smith

Brown isn't a lock anywhere right now. Cal was the perceived leader and apparently Wyking Jones was the lead recruiter on him so when Cal made him head coach that didn't hurt.

Brown likes UCLA from what we're told but because he thought Bagley was going to UCLA, and he and Bagley don't want to play together in college and share the spotlight, he was leaning towards Cal the local team.

Now UCLA has to make a decision on whether to wait on Bagley or focus on Brown. UA is involved with Brown too and in the same situation do you wait on Bagley, or focus on Brown. I don't see Brown as being another Rabb where he goes to Cal to stay home, in the end I think he ends up at somewhere like UCLA or UA, unless he gets admitted to Stanford, which is possible, and then picks them. Very good student. he's good but he's not as good as Bagley but then few are.

His dad played college ball and has connections to people at Nevada and St Johns so they're on the list. I'm not clear who but he's got a connection to UCLA too. Scout lists his top 6 as Arizona, Cal, Nevada, St Johns, Stanford and UCLA in alphabetical order. 247 lists UCLA as the favorite then Cal but the picks are a year old.

He's going to be a terrific player but he's not as physically read as Bagley, not as strong, not as athletic etc. I think he's a 2 year guy and being a great student helps in that regard.

14. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

But then he would've had to do school and not get paid. Where's the fun in that?

15. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

It definitely seems like UNC has the perfect formula in today's game. Find guys that want to stay in school and they're more seasoned than OAD-heavy teams come tourney time.

I think it's a combination of getting lucky and Roy Williams being a poor developer of talent so guys don't leave right away. Or he doesn't play them much a freshman. They did go six years without a F4 between 2010-15' but all three of his title teams were pretty much identical with Jr PG's and experienced frontcourts.