Andre the Giant (HBO)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by BillsCarnage, Jan 29, 2018.

1. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  2. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Awesome!

3. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

can't wait.

4. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

There's been a few docs on Andre; him holding the beer can really puts his size into perspective. The fans today who never saw Andre have no idea what they're missing.

5. cheesebeef

For people looking foreword to this... you MUST watch Shiek on Netflix. Absolutely great documentary on the rise, fall and rise again of The Iron Shiek.

6. Stout

Oh, I hadn't heard about this one. I'll definitely have to give this a go.

7. MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey Thank You Paul!

Looks like it will be well done

8. Stout

Crap, I forgot--I don't get HBO anymore :(

9. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

You referring to this one? Yeah, it's really good.

10. cheesebeef

yup

11. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

I'll check this out. I can't imagine a bigger WWF fan than me in the mid 80s. Had the dolls, my family hated that I watched every match, I was a hulkamaniac, etc.

12. Bada0Bing

Hmmm. this might be harder than I thought, assuming this isn't the 1921 version available on netflix...

13. cheesebeef

but did you have subscriptions to Pro Wrestling Illustrated, World Wide Wrestling and go to every match that came to Veterans?

I hated the Hulkster though. His matches were so goddamn boring/predictable. I was happy when he screwed in the all-time ludicrous Friday Night's Main Event when Andre finally beat him, with the help of the evil twin referee and then saw the good twin ref come out... and then saw the two twins go at it with each other and ended with Hogan beating one of them up.

My favorites were Randy Savage, the British Bulldogs... and Steve Lombardi, the bad guy who NEVER won in the warm-up matches. He was like the Washington Generals of the WWF.

And easily the best rivalries ever were: Macho Man v. Ricky Steamboat, The Hart Foundation v. The Bulldogs and Superfly Snuka v. Rowdy. Each one of those were classic ridiculous dramas which ended up in the best single-matches ever.

14. Bada0Bing

Haha, I don't remember a subscription to Pro Wresting Illustrated, but I did own the cassette tape of the wrestlemania songs

My mom let me stay up until midnight on Fridays so I could watch Portland Wrestling from 10:30 - midnight.

When I was 16 my buddies and I drove up to Portland to watch a show.

I was a HUGE hulkimaniac. Tore my shirts, took my vitamins, etc. When he went bad I was crushed. Quit watching forever and I'll never come back. Although I love Glow.

My move was the figure 4 leg lock by Greg "the hammer" Valentine. That move is LEGIT!

Pipers Pit was pretty awesome. I had the Piper doll, JYD, hulk, snuka, big john stud, shiek, and a few others. I think I had 8 total.

upload_2018-2-25_9-42-42.png

15. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

my favorite rivalry was between Pat Patterson and Mr Fugi... we had friday night fights downtown and Pat and Fugi fought there pretty often.... Patterson was billed as "The Man with the fiberglass stomache"..and one night before the fights they laid him down in the parking lot and drove a VW bug over his gut as a promo, lol.

their big culmination fight..Pat tied Fugi up in the ropes and pulled off his trunks...exposing his pimple flecked arse to the world.... never saw Fugi at FNF after that.

I almost joined the WWF... back in the 80's my cousin Nikki dated MacMahon for a while.... he liked her so he agreed to waive the two year drama requirement for me and my cousin Joe...her son... we were gonna be a tag team, Joe was gonna be "Chief Geronimo" and I was gonna be "The Terminator"...The plan was for Joe to be the smaller, quicker technique guy while I was the power guy... but I broke my back in 87 before I got out of the military so that plan didnt work out, lol..... hard to maintain your ultimate cyborg physique with a broken back...