Alex Len...LET HIM GO!

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by pokerface, Jan 19, 2017.

1. 95pro

95pro Registered

Derek Fisher anyone? joking...

2. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

That makes me curious who the best player is that had success as a coach. Maybe Kevin McHale? He was a 7 time All-Star and a solid coach.

I can't think of many other All-Star players who have had any success coaching. Kidd is probably the closest thing currently but he's an average coach at best. Bird had some success coaching but he got out quickly. Hornacek was an All-Star but hasn't had any success coaching yet, I think it's unlikely he will have much either.

3. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Wasn’t Riley an all star?

4. Poop Head

5. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Jerry West and Lenny Wilkins come to mind.

6. Superbone

Superbone Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan

No, he was a bit player. He was on the Suns 1976 Finals team but got no run.

7. Poop Head

Westphal was an All-Star but he didn't have much success as a coach outside his initial run here in Phoenix. Can't help but wonder how that 92-93 team would have been if Cotton had stuck around for another year as coach instead of handing the reigns over to Westphal early.

I highly doubt the team would have struggled early in the playoffs, falling behind 0-2 against the Lakers in the first round. Having played in 5 first round games, 3 of them being must win, they were fatigued when they faced the Spurs and Sonics. They had to play 5, 6, and 7 games in the previous series compared to the Bulls who played in 3, 4, and 6. The Suns had home court, which might have helped had they been better rested but they played 5 more games leading into the finals than the Bulls.

8. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I don’t disagree with you, I just think Nash was different then the others talked about.

9. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

How about Jerry Sloan. Excellent coach.

10. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

That has been the case in Major League Baseball as well. The majority of great players have been average coaches at best. And the majority of great Head Coaches/Managers were average players.

For the reason that you stated. Ted Williams exemplified it better than anyone. He expected his players to train and play as conscientiously as he but, if that were the norm, you wouldn't need a great coach.

11. Raindog

Raindog Registered

Billy Cunningham, K.C. Jones, Tommy Heinsohn, Lenny Wilkens... all HOF players who also won championship as coaches.

Superbone likes this.
  12. Errntknght

Errntknght Registered User

I'm impressed Raindog

13. BC867

To be fair, though, how do those four compare to the count of all the HOF players who were marginal as Head Coaches?

14. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Most coaches are marginal whether they be HOF players, former scrubs or just basketball nerds.

15. BC867

I've thought about that opinion. And I don't think it's accurate. Just as any "marginal" NBA player is heads and shoulders above any not in the NBA, so it is with Head Coaches.

We take them for granted, but their job is not easy. Motivating instant millionaires to come prepared, give their all and work together. Dealing with an increased amount of teenagers drafted after one year of college.

More than ever, it takes coaching skill to do the job right. And I still believe that players who had to be 100% all of the time to succeed on the court make better Head Coaches than former superstars, whose entire roster will never reach their level of individual accomplishment.