Alex Len...LET HIM GO!

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by pokerface, Jan 19, 2017.

1. pokerface

pokerface Registered

I believe Triano helped and Len is hungrier in a contract year. I wouldn't throw the farm at him though but he earned our interest now. Let's see how this unfolds this season and beyond.

2. JS22

JS22 Say Vandelay!

I thought it was ridiculous that they didn't interview ANYONE else before bringing Watson back full time. (And I'll admit, I was a Watson guy. Thought his "method" of coaching could help the young guys. Boy was I wrong.) But the more I see Triano coach this team and slowly integrate his style, the more I want to see him back next year. They still need to at least interview others, but I would not be disappointed at all if it's Triano. And I'd like to see Nash back at some capacity since they are pretty close.

Question is, does Triano even want the job beyond this season?

3. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

It doesn't sound like he wants the job. From what I've heard, he loves developing guys but hates the things Head Coaches have to do- media appearances, interviews, and all the administrative stuff.
    I am sure if the Suns really want him, they can throw enough money at him, get Booker to personally ask him, etc.

4. JS22

JS22 Say Vandelay!

Maybe the Suns hire Nash and keep Triano around in an expanded role. From what I've read Watson didn't give assistants much, if any, control.

Hiring Nash as the head coach is just crazy (and stupid?) enough that I could see the Suns doing it.

5. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

Please no Nash as a Head Coach. Hire him as an assistant, give him something to do in the Front Office, but please, stop with the Head Coach thing.

6. JS22

JS22 Say Vandelay!

Oh I agree.

I just wouldn't put it past this team to try and do it.

SirStefan32 likes this.
  7. AZCrazy

AZCrazy Registered

Great players can't coach. Normal players can't do the things that came easily to them

I wouldn't get into a bidding war for Len, but he has improved a lot. To win in this league you need talent and depth. Len would make a good rotational center, as long as someone else can come into the position as well. Chandler is probably done soon, Monroe is okay, but will likely move on. Alan Williams has been out injured but was a spark at center when playing last year, and may be just different enough from Len to keep the opposition off balance. I'd keep him if the price isn't wrong.

leclerc and SirStefan32 like this.
  8. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I'm not saying Nash should be the head coach, but come on. We all know he was coaching when he was playing, so even though the odds are long that he could be a good coach, he has a pedigree that most players, no matter how good, don't have.

leclerc likes this.
  9. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Nash doesn’t seem like a coach to me. I could see him in the front office though.

Nash was a coach on the floor, but there is a big difference between that and the sideline. A lot of what he did was instinctive.

10. Chaplin

Instinctive BECAUSE he knew his players and their capabilities. And how to use them in different situations. Sounds like sound coaching from the sidelines to me. Again, not advocating him becoming a head coach right away, just saying that he has inherent skills that could lend itself to the practice.

11. Errntknght

Errntknght Registered User

I imagine the Suns could offload a good bit of the HC duties that Triano doesn't like. I'd bet that the Spurs do that for Popovich - he sure doesn't waste much time talking to the press. Nor does ne expend much effort worrying about when the league wants him to do. I'd guess that everyone else in their FO has as their first duty keeping Popovich happy.

12. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Could have easily said the same about Magic though, Chap. And Jason Kidd who has been super mediocre as coach.

13. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

I doubt it. The things that Triano doesn't like are stuff like office politics, talking to the media, etc.

14. Chaplin

Very good points that I will definitely concede.

15. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

I just don’t know if superstar players ever make great Head Coaches. Most of them were blessed with such an specific set of talents, that maybe it makes it tough on them to really relate to every player on the team. Who knows... only legendary player I can remember having major success was Bird taking the Pacers to the Finals once against the Lakers.

Otherwise, the great ones always seemed to be the role players... Reilly, Jackson, Rudy T (to an extent), Kerr.

BC867 likes this.