Aeneas Williams' hit on Steve Young

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by clif, Aug 8, 2005.

1. clif

clif Registered

Jeez... years later.. I forgot how freakin hard that hit was :eek:

It's kind of ironic that his career would end by a cardinal since I heard that he nixed a trade to the cards years earlier.

2. abomb

abomb Registered User Contributor

Also the Cards last MNF appearance.

A-Bomb

3. RedViper

RedViper Registered

I never liked Young and that Cardinal rumor has made me like him even less. The one thing however is it doesn't seem like the timing is right on the Cards rumor. Why the hell would we be trying to pick up Young in 97 when we had Lomax?

4. AzCards21

AzCards21 Registered User

If I remember correctly Lomax was injured and done for. We needed someone to take over.

I do love the hit by Williams though.

5. RedViper

RedViper Registered

Lomax got hurt midway through the season in 88. The first year in AZ. At the point he went down Cards were in first place in the NFC East.

6. clif

clif Registered

yeah the rumor was in 87 or 88.. I heard that he went to 49er management and told them he didn't want to play for another (tampa being the first) bottom dwelling team.

That really sucks. I would think if a guy thought he was all that.. he would relish the idea to turn it around.

7. nathan

nathan Moderator Contributor

I did not know Aeneas was gay.

(You missed an apostrophe)

8. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIMâ„¢ Contributor

Really? :shrug: :D

9. Alan

Alan Registered User

I was a big fan of Steve Young and I never like it when a player gets injured, but...

Yesterday I was in my apartment with my three roommates and two of their parents. All of them are big 49ers fans who make fun of me because I love the Cardinals. Anyway, they were glued to the TV when Young was giving his HOF speech. I kept saying "Remember that corner blitz by Aeneas Williams?" For some reason they didn't like it.

10. okcardzona

okcardzona Registered

I think the Cards last Monday night game was against the cowboys. Christmas edition, Buddy Ryan, Centers jumping over the player.

11. 40yearfan

40yearfan DEFENSE!!!! Contributor

I once had a girlfriend that missed a period also.

12. RedViper

RedViper Registered

Cards-Dallas on MNF where Centers does his hurdle and Fat Basterd abandons his team: Christmas Night 1995.

Cards-SF where Williams sends Young to retirement was 1999.

13. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I readily admit to a bias with young he went from a guy who scared the heck out of me as a QB to in my opinion the best QB in NFL history(his peak I realize his total career was not as good as some others but at his peak I don't think anybody was ever that good).

Young's first year in SF was 87 so it makes little sense to me that they were already trying to trade the guy. 87 was arguably Montana's best year of his career (31 td passes nearly 67%) but I know I sure don't recall any rumors that Steve Young was nearly traded to the Cards that year.

88 I can sort of believe it because Young was REALLY good in 87 in limited action (10 td's 0 picks) and would have improved his market value but again I sure don't recall those rumors. The most common rumors I recall were later and all involved trading Joe to make room for Steve which was highly controversial and I don't think has ever been confirmed.

People forget the reason the 49ers picked up Steve Young was that in 86 Montana got hurt and played only half the year. He ruptured a disk in his back in the opener, missed half the year, and then came back and played the rest of the year. That was the year he got crushed by Jim Burt in the playoff blowout against the Giants. The back injury had doctors advising him to retire, the hit by Burt had his wife begging him to retire, so the 49ers saw a chance to get Young and seized it figuring they weren't sure how long Joe would play.

Of course he played 7 years after that.

I do recall some rumors late in Montana's career that included talk he might become a Cardinal, but I sure don't recall any link to Young and us?
    Here's a quote from a local article on young, talks about asking to be traded but doesn't name any teams.

- On the perception that he waited patiently behind Montana to become the 49ers' starter after Bill Walsh traded with Tampa Bay to get him in 1987, a year after Montana's back surgery: not exactly. Young said he asked several times to be traded, but "I don't know if I meant it or not," he said.

"As hard as it was in Tampa Bay, in many ways, it was harder to not play, " Young said. "Many times, I said I'd rather be a lawyer than sit here and twiddle my thumbs. I was kind of mad at Bill because he made it sound like Joe was not going to be playing very long.

"As I look back, I appreciated the time, because they were very important years to learn, to really understand the depths to which you have to go to play great quarterback by watching Joe. But at the moment, it was frustrating, it was tough. I didn't know that was the way it was going to end up being."

14. clif

clif Registered

I found this piece

15. clif

clif Registered

yeah so it turns out it was before young became a niner...