92 Percent of Students Prefer Paper Books Over E-Books

Discussion in 'Books' started by Brian in Mesa, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIMâ„¢ Contributor

:biglaugh:

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Site Owner Administrator Staff Member

Your missing out.

I enjoy reading both e-books and really books.

3. DWKB

DWKB Registered

Like anything, it's a skill you develop. It just takes practice and purpose.

I'm a very slow reader myself. I think it takes me a bit to turn the words into the visuals in my head.

4. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

I much prefer paper books to e books, have a nook I use to use and I have an iPad that I never use for e-reading. I tried it but it just never took with me. My wife on the other hand loves her e-books.

I like having books on my shelves at home. I do donate some but I probably keep 75% of what I purchase.

5. Iceman

Iceman Administrator Staff Member Contributor

That's what people say. I see people (my wife) get into a book series and she is non existent until the books are done. That's probably what would happen to me if I started too

6. Catlover

Catlover Registered

I've never tried a Nook so I have no opinion on it. But I do know that if my only digital reading options were the Ipad or a Kindle tablet, I'd stay with paperbacks. Reading on a Kindle Paperwhite is an incredible experience. So easy on the eyes, no headaches and no strain. I can read for 10 hours straight (when my cats let me) with no problems. I can't read a paperback for 90 minutes straight anymore and it's even worse trying to read on a computer screen or tablet.

And, yes, I really miss having books on my shelves at home.

7. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

IMO, there is something about reading a physical book for those who need to study. It seems to help the learning experience. Also it is easier to review information (bookmark, highlight, etc.) from a tangible copy. If I want to seriously study I want a book or physical documents.

That said, I haven't studied seriously from a book in years. I use my computer for almost all my reading and information. However, I know many that consider a hard copy book as part of their reading enjoyment, something to treasure and hold. Often they plan to go back and read it again.

8. Catlover

Catlover Registered

I agree. The ability to search is nice but a physical book is much better for use in an academic environment. The reasons you've mentioned plus the simple act of paging can throw you off a bit if you're struggling with a concept. When you're reading Gone With The Wind it's no problem to page frequently but it's a different story when you're fighting your way through your Observational Techniques of Optical Astronomy textbook.

9. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

I prefer a physical book if I'm studying or reading something I might refer to later. I have a photographic memory, for want of a better word, and I can "see" where something was in the book and where it was on a page. Which allows me to pick up the book and re-read something to fact check or refresh my memory. Or re-read a favorite passage. I can't do it with a Kindle or tablet. On an e-reader.. one page looks like all the others in my brain.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  10. Mainstreet

Wow. That just whizzed by my ear.

11. Mainstreet

What I wouldn't give to have to have a photographic memory. This would seem to support you wanting to keep some books handy.

12. Catlover

Catlover Registered

It's a class my nephew had to take, it would have whizzed by my ear too.

13. devilalum

devilalum Salary Cap Casualty

100% of trees polled prefer e-books to paperbacks.

14. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

I hear ya. For me I think it's just that I always have so much on my mind that it is hard for me to just relax and read.

15. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

for me a book has it's own personality,..the stains, slight rips, dog eared pages,..it all tells yet another story about the journey of a favorite book... almost like they have their own soul... an e-reader is cold,.. lifeless, .. soulless

"Why yes, great book,...my son gave it to me"

Vs.

"yeah, that is a download my son bought for me"

just not the same to me....I feel zero connection with a digital book.

I have been trying,...as digital books appear to be pretty popular and I may soon have a couple to publish,... but it just is not working for me.