2018 NBA Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Poop Head, Jan 9, 2018.

1. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

I'm telling you, Marbury is looking better and better.

2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

From Wojnarowski.

Some teams will be waiting for free agents to fill needs.

This might make the trade market easier for the Suns to acquire a player via trade.

3. Mainstreet

Nothing happening with Len... at least at the moment.

4. Mainstreet

Just for the fun of it, I wonder if the Knicks would trade Porzingis.

He couldn't be touched not so long ago... maybe he still is.

5. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

I am interested in Smart. He would bring a defensive intensity this team needs. I am not sure I want to give up that much though. I dont think we should have to. Ainge owes us for giving him Moose.

6. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Please not Payton. Please.

7. Mainstreet

Have to love the hairdo. :D

8. hcsilla

hcsilla Registered User

:), you did not try hard enough.

9. hcsilla

hcsilla Registered User

I hope it's not PHO's 2nd rounder.

10. hcsilla

hcsilla Registered User

It's CHA's, fine.

11. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

A little surprised that Cleveland traded Frye. I read a week ago about how they weren't planning on trading him any longer because he was the key person holding the team together in the locker room as a veteran leader. I guess since they traded half of their team though they felt he wasn't necessary anymore. They traded away IT, Rose, Wade, Shumpert, Crowder, and Frye. I know IT was said to be one of the issues with chemistry there but that's a lot of moves to make for a team that is supposed to be a legit contender. They did get George Hill, Rodney Hood, Jordan Clarkson, and Larry Nance Jr but I don't think they got as much talent as they sent away. Of course the talent they sent away hasn't fit well with Lebron. I'm surprised they sent Wade away in a deal where they didn't get anything worthwhile in return.

12. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

Thought this was interesting, it's an article by the New York Post that tries to explain why the Knicks chose to trade for Mudiay instead of Payton. The only point they really bring up is that Mudiay has another year on his contract while Payton will be a free agent this summer and with Porzingis out for the remainder of the year they didn't want to gamble on resigning Payton without seeing him play with Porzingis but they'll be able to evaluate Mudiay with him next season. It also says that Mudiay is a better defender based on advanced stats but doesn't actually state any. It seems like a fluff piece to sell Knicks fans on the trade they made rather than the trade they could have made but it doesn't do a very good job at that.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/08/why-knicks-picked-emmanuel-mudiay-over-elfrid-payton/

Mainstreet likes this.
  13. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

I like the addition. If PHX can’t get an upgrade (Trae Young) then they could pick up Payton’s option so he’s a nice back up plan unless he balls out the second half of the season. He is a good all around PG, if he continues to improve as a shooter he can become one of the better PGs in the NBA. I like the fact that he even plays defense. Plus he’s only 23 years old so he definitely fits the timeline if he works out.

14. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

The problem is that he apparently doesn't play defense. He had a reputation as a good defender, but in doing some digging around, he really doesn't appear to have played defense in Orlando.

15. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

In reading the write up on him that someone posted it seems his defensive issues are inflated primarily with the Magic’s three point defense blowing up when he’s on the court. But the article basically pointed out that given statistical analysis this was most likely an anomaly rather than directly related to Elfrid. That said they didn’t Ben try to make an argument that was a GOOD defender, just that perhaps he’s not as bad as his defensive advances metrics paint him to be. At least that’s what o took from the article. I guess we will all have the eye test to rely upon moving forward.

Personally I like the fact that his scoring and shooting percentages have all gotten better every year, even if only incrementally. And in instances where they haven’t (3 point percentage has bumped up and down and assists relatively consistent) at least they are currently residing at good numbers and haven’t gone down in the near term. He’s also a very good finisher in the paint and seems to know his limitations (he only shoots 1.5 3 pointers per game and majority of shots are at the rim) which can’t be said for a lot of young players.

All that said, I hope he doesn’t win any games for us this year but shows enough promise that he can be a building block.

Mainstreet and SirStefan32 like this.