2018 All Star Weekend Events & Game

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Poop Head, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

I thought I'd get a separate thread going for the All Star break which is about 2 weeks away, with the All-Star game being played February 17th.

This is the first year they're trying the new format with the top vote receiver from each conference selecting their teams. The players named All-Stars were selected as they normally are, with fan voting deciding the starters and coaches voting for the reserves. The captains then had to pick their teams from the pool of players that were named as All-Stars.

Voted as starters on Team Lebron are Lebron, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, and DeMarcus Cousins. They haven't said who will replace Cousins in the starting lineup, that will be the coaches choice. Dwane Casey from the Raptors is the coach for this team.

The reserves for that team are LeMarcus Aldridge, Bradley Beal, Victor Oladipo, Kristaps Porzingis, John Wall, and Kevin Love. Cousins, Wall, and Love are all out due to injuries and their replacements are Paul George, Andre Drummond, and Goran Dragic.

It seems the replacements that are selected are coming from the same conference as the injured player. With George being named as the replacement for Cousins, Drummond for Wall, and Goran Dragic for Kevin Love.

Voted as starters on Team Curry are Steph Curry, James Harden, DeMar DeRozan, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Joel Embiid. They'll be coached by Mike D'Antoni from the Rockets.

The reserves for that team are Jimmy Butler, Draymond Green, Al Horford, Damian Lillard, Kyle Lowry, Klay Thompson, and Karl-Anthony Towns.

Here is a link to view the teams...
    http://www.nba.com/allstar/2018/roster#/

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. Poop Head

In the 3 Point Shootout the participants are Eric Gordon, who is the defending champ, Klay Thompson, Bradley Beal, Paul George, Wayne Ellington, Tobias Harris, and Devin Booker.

Participating in the Dunk Contest are Aaron Gordon, Victor Oladipo, Larry Nance Jr, and Dennis Smith Jr.. Glenn Robinson III was the winner last year but he's not defending his title this year. He suffered an ankle injury during practice in late September and hasn't played this season. He just got recalled to the Pacers after playing in the G-League as part of his rehab assignment.

In the Skills Challenge are Spencer Dinwiddie, Joel Embiid, Al Horford, Lauri Markkanen, Donovan Mitchell, Jamal Murray, Kristaps Porzingis, and Lou Williams. Porzingis is the defending champ, having beat Gordon Hayward in the finals last year.

Here is link for info on those contests that will played on Saturday February 16th.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...e-point-shootout-fields-announced/1089295001/

3. Poop Head

And here is a link to the Rising Star Challenge also, it won't feature any Suns players which is disappointing since the Suns have so many young players and highly selected draft picks. Bogdan Bogdanovic is playing in it, the Suns drafted him in 2014 but he just came over this season. He was traded to the Kings during the 2015 draft for Marquese Chriss.

http://www.nba.com/allstar/2018/rising-stars-roster#/

Playing on the World team are Bogdan Bogdanovic and Buddy Hield from the Kings, Dario Saric, Ben Simmons, and Joel Embiid from the 76ers, Dillon Brooks of the Grizzlies, Lauri Markkanen from the Bulls, Jamal Murray of the Nuggets, Frank Ntilikina from the Knicks, and Domantas Sabonis from the Pacers.

Playing for Team USA are Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, and Kyle Kuzma from the Lakers, Jaylen Brown and Jason Tatum from the Celtics, Malcom Brogdon of the Bucks, John Collins from the Hawks, Kris Dunn from the Bulls, Donovan Mitchell from the Jazz, and Dennis Smith Jr from the Mavericks.

4. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

Although I want to see the Suns represented somewhere during All Star weekend, I am very leery about DBook in the 3 Point Shootout.

He is not at 100% since being made the primary Point Guard as well as top scorer. And the 3 Point exercise has, in the past, drained participants for the rest of the season (which is a prime cause for more injuries).

I know! Those who advocate tanking for the rest of the season wouldn't be bothered by that. And, yes, I understand the need to lose now in hoping for a high draft pick, as long as it is not tanking from the start of the season.

5. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

Manny Navarro
    @Manny_Navarro

Goran Dragic said he's flying his parents in from Europe for the All-Star Game in Los Angeles. His wife and kids are also going.

6. Poop Head

I don't recall hearing of anyone being drained from participating in the 3 point shootout, especially a 21 year old. I'm glad he gets to be part of the weekend in some fashion. Maybe he can fill a spot in the Skills challenge if any of their contestants gets sidelined before hand. I'm not in favor of Point-Booker though. I'd rather the Suns trade for a PG that helps them win another game or two while sliding Booker back over to his natural position.

7. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Registered

Agreed. I just can’t buy the idea of shooting about 75 threes in the span of about an hour “draining” a player for the rest of the season. I could maybe buy the idea of messing up your rhythm for a few games since you are forcing up so many shots at an unnatural pace though.

8. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

I didn't mean draining, as much as falling into bad shooting habits. I don't remember where I've read it over the years, but I did read about some shooters falling into bad habits after the 3-point preparation and exercise. I'm sorry, but I can't quote any names.

I just can't help but feel that, since moving to starting Point Guard, DBook's main asset, his scoring, has fallen off and he is having nagging injuries. The 3-point contest won't help. He seems to need rest.

9. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Registered

Nagging injuries? He fell onto his ribs and is dealing with some soreness from it. That has nothing to do with workload and everything to do with the fact that he fell onto his ribs.

10. Ronin

Orlando Magic PR‏@Magic_PR 16m16 minutes ago
    Orlando Magic forward Aaron Gordon will not play tonight at Miami due to a strained left hip flexor. It is the fourth straight game he has missed.

In addition, Gordon has withdrawn from the Slam Dunk contest at NBA All-Star Weekend.

11. Ronin

12. Poop Head

13. Poop Head

The rising stars game is tonight. It seems odd that there won't be any trade discussions come out of the event this year. It's rumored that a lot of players will start trying to recruit others to get a jump on free agency this summer but there is too much basketball left this year to get excited at the prospect of free agents this offseason.

14. Poop Head

Booker made it to the finals of the 3 point contest, Klay is still to shoot but looks like Booker has it won.

15. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

Booker!!!!!