2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Ronin, Oct 24, 2017.

1. pokerface

pokerface Registered

:clapping:

Sold!:clapping:

2. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Point is that we are in a position to overpay some to get the player we want.

3. hcsilla

hcsilla Registered User

No.

Yes.

I don't know, maybe, that's a tough one.

4. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Apparently Duke is trying to "fix" Bagley's release because he tends to push the ball when he shoots. he's 2-9 so far from the FT line my guess is he'll go back to just shooting it the way he wants.

he's only 1-3 from 3 point line which frankly is good coaching, the biggest knock on him in HS is he settled for too many 3's.

Bamba needs to get stronger but he's got some Mutombo style defense and is better on offense than Mutombo at the same stage.
    Ayton is such a good shooter if you assume he develops back to the basket low post moves he's going to be unstoppable

5. pokerface

pokerface Registered

Yeah...but I'm not even sure it's an overpay. Feels about right to me.

6. hsandhu

hsandhu Registered User

If we finish outside the top 5, who is your early favorite right now? I'm looking at jaren jackson jr, hoping he could play center in the nba.

Very long and solid frame. Want to see how the offensive game looks in college.

They play duke today, so we can see how physically he matches up with bagley. BTW, it would be incredible to get bagley, the phoenix kid staying home as the final piece of the rebuild.

7. hcsilla

hcsilla Registered User

Bamba reminds me of Marcus Camby while I see a lot of (potential) Jermaine O'Neal in Ayton, while David Robinson seems too much for him as a comparison.

8. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Bamba & McCoy have only played one game each but had impressive debuts, especially McCoy with 25 & 18. Both Bamba and McCoy made 75% of their FT's, again only 1 game so will be interesting to see how well they shoot FT's over the course of the year. The other big name in the 2018 draft, Michael Porter played 2 minutes in his first college game before going down with a hip injury which will cause him to miss MIZZ next game and he is listed day to day.

9. JCSunsfan

Yep. This might end up being more than a five player draft. You have the big five in Doncic, Bagley, Porter, Ayton, and Bamba.

But then there are some really intriguing players right behind in Jaren Jackson (6-11 sf with a 7-4 wingspan), pg's in Sexton and Carter, and also Duval.

There could easily be star players drafted in the second round this year.

The thing about the Suns is that EVERY potential player in this draft will be of interest to us, with all the picks we have.

I am becoming convinced that the guy we will trade--in order to get the next star, either in the draft or direct trade--will be TJ Warren.

TJ is developing quickly and he is just such an effective complementary scorer, he will be highly valuable to a team wanting to take the next step.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    hcsilla likes this.
  10. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

A lot will depend on obviously where PHX lands in the lottery and how they sort out the roster with rumors about being interested in Okafor and whether Monroe or Chandler will be dealt and if Len is not brought back. Next year's draft should provide PHX and opportunity to find a young franchise big man (Bagley/Ayton/Bamba/McCoy) and possibly another scorer to pair with Booker (Trier/Diallo/Allen) and maybe a young PG prospect (Duval/Sexton/Holiday). I would rule out landing a prize FA as PHX isn't going to be a choice location with Sarver as the owner, will have to try and build this team solely through the draft.

11. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

12. hcsilla

hcsilla Registered User

Duval seems to be the next Chris Duhon or maybe even more.

13. JCSunsfan

FWIW. I think we will have the 5th pick this year just based upon record. If the lottery is kind to us (chances of moving up or staying the same are 56%, moving down 44%) maybe some better.

14. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

he can't shoot but he was really good today. At his best he reminds me of a young Rod Strickland, I don't think he finishes as well as Rod did, right now it seems like if Duval can't dunk it he often doesn't finish, but he is very clever at sliding by defenders to get to the rim.

He's been good with valuing the ball, it's going to be hard to judge him this year given how loaded Duke is, but he's playing better than I expected.

15. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

I like Sexton more. Better scorer and tighter handle IMO.

Oh and Miles Bridges probably should've left last year.