2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Ronin, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

He is good enough to take a chance on him if he slides in the draft. The Suns could make him a project and see what happens.

ColdPickleNachos likes this.
  2. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

I'm not sure that "I really have no clue about this guy" qualifies as a "conclusion." How hard is it to say, "He might be really good, but he might not"?

3. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

Well, I mean he definitely works towards understanding through the rest of the long, nuanced article.

It's more definitive stuff than I have found elsewhere on Robinson. Between sitting the year out and subpar high school competition, he is a real enigma as a prospect.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  4. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

The best video of Robinson is in the McDonalds all-star game when he was going against Bamba, Ayton and the rest. He did ok there.

When I watch him play, I get concerned. He is really lanky in a Skal way. Plus, he moves strangly. He is flat-footed or on his heels all the time. Odd gait.

5. ColdPickleNachos

Today is a fun day for watching prospects!

At noon on CBS, #2 Virginia takes on #4 Duke, and you can see Marvin Bagley, Wendell Carter, and Duke's other NBA prospects take on probably the best defense in the country.

Basically concurrently (12:15 on ESPN), it's Alabama vs. Oklahoma, which means Trae Young vs. Collin Sexton.

6. devilalum

devilalum Salary Cap Casualty

At least they haven’t been complaining about attendance. This team is putrid.

from phone

7. JCSunsfan

Its not just Young and Booker. Young is so court aware and such a passer. He sees ahead and processes so quickly. TJ moves so instinctively without the ball. Can you imagine him having TJ to pass to? He would even make Chriss and Bender better.

Young would make MUCH more of a difference on this team than Ayton would.

We would need some defense though. The ideal would be Young and Bamba. If we got in a position to draft Young, would maybe the Milwaukee pick, the Miami pick, plus one or two future Suns picks (maybe unprotected) get us in the range to get the 7th pick for Bamba or Jackson?

Chriss or Bender
    Milwaukee pick (say 14 in this draft)
    Miami pick (say 18 in this draft)
    2019 Suns unprotected pick.

for the #7 pick.

Cheese. I'm really trying here.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  8. ColdPickleNachos

That would probably do it. Unprotected picks are rarely available, especially from young teams that haven't made the playoffs in forever. For the right team, that's a pretty enticing package and a clear overpay for the seventh pick on its face.

That said, the Suns have to cash in assets at some point, and the combo of a pg like Young and a rim-protecting center would be ideal.

Even if that unprotected pick became top-3, I'm not sure I'd want anyone in next year's draft class over Bamba or JJJ. It's a weak class with swings at the top. Bol Bol is the only guy at the moment who could be a huge regret, but he has a long way to go. Less of what the Suns need from a big than either Bamba or JJJ unless he changes his development curve (which he could).

Also, this trade would ensure that we don't focus on tanking next year! hahaha

Young Ulis Canaan
    Booker Daniels Reed
    Warren Josh Jackson Draft Pick
    Chriss Free Agent Dudley
    Bamba Chandler A. Williams

That's your team going forward. I think it would be worth it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  9. hcsilla

hcsilla Registered User

Provided Chriss and/or Bender shows some further progress, this package definitely gets the job done (however, I'm not sure that #7 guarantees draftign either Bamba or Jackson) even without 2019 Suns 1st rounder.

#13, #28 and another late 1st rounder did net #8 in 2016
    #14(Muhammad) and #21 (Dieng) did net #9 (Trey Burke) in 2013
    #13 (Richard Jefferson), #18 (Jason Collins) and #23 (Brandon Armstrong) did net #7 (Eddie Griffin) in 2001

With another first (or two) it is possible moving up 5-6 spots even in the lottery and even though it is a strong draft class, Bender or Chriss should have to be enough to cover the value gap (if there is any).

10. Praxis

Praxis Registered

Unless something goes horribly wrong, Young is a top 3 pick. We need to get lucky and win the lotto or trade into the top 3. Not sure what pieces we will have left to get another top 7 pick, although I agree it would be great for us to get two top picks in this draft.

11. JCSunsfan

Well. Its certainly going to get you one of Ayton, Young, Bagley, Doncic, Porter, Bamba or Jackson. It might be Porter, depending on what the doctors say.

12. JCSunsfan

13. JCSunsfan

Trae Young and Sexton played to a draw personally, with Bama getting the win.

Trae looked human in this game. Sexton looks like DFox part 2.

14. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Would love a draft of Trae Young & Wendell Carter.

Praxis likes this.
  15. Praxis

Praxis Registered

Ditto