2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Ronin, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

2. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Ayton has similar production but better physical tools. I think I take Ayton just in size and length. Bagley is a very good player though.

3. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

Yeah. Bagley is phenomenal. However, he has a relatively short wingspan.

Last measurements were...

Bamba: 7'9 wingspan

Ayton: 7'5 wingspan

Bagley: 7'0 wingspan

That's a pretty significant difference.

4. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Yeah I think my argument is Ayton is more physically developed so he has less room to improve. I also think Bagley just plays harder, has a better motor. Ayton is playing harder on defense now than he did earlier in the year, he was terrific against ASU, but I still think Bagley plays consistently harder.

The other advantage Ayton has is he's a much better shooter, a bunch of Bagley's points come off dunks, he will likely find that's not as easy in the NBA. there's a bit of Greek Freak to Bagley's game though where he's just so long and athletic he seems to be able to get to the rim and dunk even not being a great shooter. Not nearly as strong as Greek Freak though.

They're both really good, hard to go wrong with either kid.

hcsilla likes this.
  5. JCSunsfan

I like Doncic. He is going to be a very good player. I do not believe he will be the best player in this draft class. His game is very refined for an 18 year old. I just don’t see where he can improve much given his physical abilities. He is not going to get faster. He might improve his vertical with work but not the fast twitch type of natural leaping. He might grow an inch or two and he will get stronger. To me that means his eventual position might be power forward. He does not have the speed to play guard. Maybe a point forward.

6. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I'm assuming those are accurate but a word of caution, virtually everyone I see who cites that measurement on Bagley is getting it from Draft Express, and that was done when Bagley was 15, so it's several years old. I think he's grown a couple of inches since then so his reach may be longer but I don't know that for a fact.

DE which is now under the ESPN paywall is from a camp when he was 15, Draftnet says 7 foot 1/2 inch but they don't actually cite where they got that. It wouldn't surprise me if he's a bit longer than that now though he is about 2 inches taller.

7. ColdPickleNachos

Good points. If Bagley is longer than he is currently listed, that is a game-changer.

8. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Bagley might have the highest floor of any prospect I can remember. Even if he goes to a terrible situation he will put up numbers and play his ass off. Ayton needs to be in the right spot.

9. ColdPickleNachos

One thing that I think we as fans don't always factor in this early (but I think is very important) is how a prospect carries himself. Most athletes fall in the average category for interviews and there are proven NBA stars whose personalities don't shine as brightly as their games.

However, it's definitely an added bonus when a player has the "it" factor. I'm thinking of Devin Booker here. All class, comfortable in various situations, and walks the fine line between confident and arrogant.

I was researching Mitchell Robinson (7 footer with upside and no college game tape) and came across a couple interviews. They were awful. He had no charisma, and his answers were so ill-conceived he almost came across as disrespectful. If I had just seen his high school highlights, I'd have him as a lottery pick. After watching the interviews, I probably wouldn't touch him in the first round.

So that got me thinking and I watched several interviews of the top 7 prospects last night to get a feel for this element. I would say Porter, Doncic, and Young are solid, Bagley is fine, and Sexton and Ayton have a unique spark.

But the absolute standout personality-wise is Mohamed Bamba.

I love this kid. His maturity, sense of humor, and spirit come through in every interaction. When you combine his raw talent with that type of awareness, it makes me even higher on him as a prospect. Here's a couple videos for reference (Note: Charles O'Bannon Jr. is standing on something, so don't get too excited about the guy towering over Bamba and Ayton!)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  10. JCSunsfan

Wow. That is impressive. There are very few 19 year olds of any kind that are that articulate.

11. Raindog

Raindog Registered

I don't think you can really go wrong with the top 7 or so prospects. They each seem like plus value talents that probably won't miss. Depending how high you are picking, it will probably just come down to who fits your team best positionally.

I just really, REALLY hope the Suns don't miss out on getting one of them. It will be disheartening to end up with a low lottery pick and getting another Robin Lopez or something like that.

ColdPickleNachos likes this.
  12. Ronin

Clint Parks‏@Brotherhood05 8m8 minutes ago
    I’ve been watching a lot of Luka Doncic lately and his ability to get by guys in the NBA is a huge RED FLAG. I love his skill and IQ but I’m seeing a lot of dribbling needed to get to his spots.

13. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Am I just not understanding this tweet? It doesn't make any sense to me.

14. Ronin

sorry about that. I thought the tweet was from a scout. disregard.

15. Ronin