2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Ronin, Oct 24, 2017.

1. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

The bad news: The Suns would be picking 10th if the draft were held today.

The good news: They are only 3 games out of the first spot.

No team above them in the standings looks like a big threat to fall apart.

Meanwhile, the Mavs and Bulls are trending up, the Grizzlies will eventually get a boost from Conley returning, and the Lakers have no motivation to keep losing.

Is it too much to ask for a lot more games like tonight where the team looks good and starts to click but still loses...just enough to get an elite prospect in this loaded draft? I sure hope not.

2. hsandhu

hsandhu Registered User

Also good news suns have brutal post all star break schedule. Compete, hope tank standing stay bunched until then, then do what you need to go full tank.

3. ColdPickleNachos

You know...I really wish I could just enjoy the development of the young players the Suns have and root wholeheartedly not just for their long-term but also short-term success...

I really don't want to advocate for a tank...

But WOW is this a good draft class. Potentially historically good. If we don't end up top 6 it will be a real missed opportunity.

4. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Try this. Enjoy both wins and losses.

We have a tough stretch coming up. Want to see the young guys perform, but if they lose its ok.

ColdPickleNachos and SirStefan32 like this.
  5. hsandhu

hsandhu Registered User

I'll throw in sexton to that group, who could be a lillard. If we can add one of those 7 that would be incredible.

6. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

That's exactly right. I am loving every win, but I am not upset after a loss.

Mainstreet likes this.
  7. JCSunsfan

Yes. I think so. Sexton has significant defensive potential. He can also shoot. I am just worried about his passing.

8. JCSunsfan

So. Just for giggles. If we ended up with the number one overall pick, what do you do?

I think I trade down two picks or so and take Young.

9. hsandhu

hsandhu Registered User

You take the franchise center in ayton without blinking.

10. ColdPickleNachos

Sexton is incredible. I don't like him as much as the top 5 (or maybe 6), but as #7 overall picks go, he's got tremendous potential.

11. ColdPickleNachos

That's a tough one. I would hate to be the person to pass on Bagley, Ayton, Doncic, or Young! (And Bamba too, but he wouldn't be in the running for #1.)

I would probably go in this order for now:

1. Ayton
    2. Doncic
    3. Young
    4. Bagley

But ask me tomorrow and you might get a different answer. They're all incredible prospects.

12. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

In this draft, the Suns could trade down a couple of slots, get more first round picks and/ or a player and then make a monster offer to another rebuilding team they cannot refuse for another top pick.

13. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

I love Doncic and Young, but I would have a really hard time passing on Ayton. With Doncic, I am concerned about him and Booker defensively (Warren too, for that matter.) I think Young's game will translate into the NBA just fine, and I think he and Booker would be a really good fit offensively, but I am not sold on Young's defense either. Don't get me wrong, I would be THRILLED with either one of them, but I don't see how you pass on someone with Ayton's size and skill set. I might also see who offers what for number 1 pick. If we can get a good player to swap 1 and 3, I might do it, and then just take whoever is available at #3.

14. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

He is starting to block more shots and look better on defense but I think I'd still take Bagley over Ayton but it's close. There's not much risk with either kid.

15. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

zJust mentioned him in the Fultz thread so I thought I'd throw out a name I haven't seen here, and I'm not sure he's even going to come out this year.

Jaylen Nowell the freshman PG at UW. Not a great shooter, that's really his weakness. 16 PPG, 3 rebounds 3 assists, very athletic kid, 6'4" reminds me a bit of a Gary Payton both facially and he's kind of got the cocky thing too although not nearly as good as Payton was right now of course. Tough kid.

He's not an elite shooter, 31% from 3, and he's not yet a great playmaker although the way UW plays their offense he kind of shares the ball handling with David Crisp, but really talented kid. He wasn't rated as high as UCLA's Jaylen Hands but I'd take Nowell over Hands any day so far. Hands is so weak on the ball it's frightening how many turnovers he'd have if he was the primary ball handler.

I'd throw in a plug for Aaron Holiday but I don't think he'll ever get into the first round he's just not big enough and he's an undersized 2 trying to play the 1 he is tough and competes and can shoot but he's too turnover prone to get into the first round