2010 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Arizona Diamondbacks' started by Lefty, Jun 5, 2010.

1. boondockdrunk

boondockdrunk Resident Drunkard

2009 was a pretty good draft. But other than that I agree.

2. Lefty

Lefty Registered

Have you seen all these players play in person? I doubt it. Drafting players is a wait and see thing. Every poster on this site ripped Steve Kerr when he drafted Lopez and Dragic and I don't hear anyone now saying they were bad picks now.

No one can say they hate this pick or like it until maybe three years. All I will say is welcome aboard Barrett and I hope you can help the Diamondbacks in the very near future.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  3. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Lefty, Loux was slated to go in the bottom half of Round 1. Even with his rise on the boards, he was not projected to go in the Top 10. Does not matter if you don't see these guys play in person, not many baseball fans can see them play until the CWS, ARZ should have gotten a better player. As for your basketball reference Lopez and Dragic at least were drafted where they should have been, neither was considered a reach. Their sub par rookie years made people think they were busts but they have developed. Loux only has 2 pitches in his arsenal right now, sound familiar, hello Max Scherzer. Would have rather have had Sale, Whitson, Harvey or Deck McGuire.

4. Lefty

Lefty Registered

It doesn't matter where you pick the guy, it's all about how he progreeses. In my opinion you can't say they could of gotten a better player. Time will tel. Don Mattingly was drafted in the 19th round, Mark Grace said he was a 24th round pick and Mike Piazza was picked in the 62nd round. And if you look at the Diamondbacks history, they took Corey Myers with the 4th overall pick and look at how that turned out. I could be wrong and you could be right but I think we should wait and come back in three years to see how all these first-round picks turned out. We will then see who did well and who didn't.

5. binkar

binkar Registered

Are you Nick Piecoro? Your posts are nearly identical to his articles. I am not being @$$, I am serious.

6. azsportsfan01

azsportsfan01 Registered

I am not Nick. I actually don't even live in Arizona anymore. I unfortunately live in Connecticut.

7. asuhoopsnut

asuhoopsnut Registered

The Diamondbacks drafting continues to be bizarre. Although the drafting of baseball players is not always an exact science, the Diamondbacks first few picks for the last four years have often been head scratchers, when much more established and talented players were available in the rounds they were drafted in. To go along with Loux, their second and third round picks were a big time reach. The pick of Bradley was really wild, especially when Brandon Workman from University of Texas was still on the board, as well as a top High School pitcher A.J. Cole.

Dear Mr. Kendrick ........ When evaluating your organization, please place a special importance to reviewing your high school and college scouting and the mlb draft. It has really been a disappointing last 4 years.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  8. ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS ONE HEART BEAT!!!

You're missing the point. You're argument seems to be that since all drafts are littered with lower round picks that were jackpots, that you can't make any comments about anyone's potential. That's bs. Draft the best talent available at your slot, and if you don't, you should be criticized. Of course it's an inexact science, and you'll have higher pick busts, but that's not the point. Your Corey Meyers reference is only further evidence of this, another reach that turned into nothing.

9. azsportsfan01

azsportsfan01 Registered

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/6/10/1509601/arizona-diamondbacks-draft-review

Hopefully they can get some of these young guys signed.

10. splitsecond

splitsecond In Bruce We Trust

Haha, Corey Myers. Never thought I would see that name mentioned on a board anywhere after how his career went. Went to school with him, total asshat.

11. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

Auburn: Associate Softball Coach Was Banned For Romantic Relationships With Students

Former Auburn associate head softball coach Corey Myers—son of former head coach Clint Myers, who abruptly retired this summer—was banned from campus for having romantic relationships with multiple students whom he supervised or coached, according to a letter from the school’s Title IX office obtained by ESPN.

The younger Myers left the team in March, claiming that he wanted to focus on his family. He was informed in August via letter that he had been banned from the university, and his father retired from the head coaching gig just two days later. (The elder Myers similarly named a desire to spend more time with his family as the reason for his departure.)

Corey Myers was first investigated by the school nearly a year before he was banned, though the Title IX office at first “found insufficient evidence to conclude the policy was violated.” Ultimately, though, they found otherwise. The letter banning Myers from campus reads, in part:

“We have determined there is sufficient evidence ... to conclude that you violated the policy prohibiting ‘pursuing or engaging in romantic relationships’ with more than one student whom you supervised or taught while you were employed as associate head coach of the softball program... We have considered the nature of the violations, which we found to have occurred with more than one student and over an extended period, and have determined that the appropriate sanction is that you are not eligible for rehire by the university at any time. You are banned from campus property and may not attend any university events. Further, you are forbidden from attending any Auburn University softball-related activities or events, whether on- or off-campus.”

Despite the decision to ban Myers and the detail in the letter above, the university did not find evidence that the former coach had “created a hostile environment” for the team, as was alleged in a Title IX complaint filed by a former player.

https://deadspin.com/auburn-associate-softball-coach-was-banned-for-romanti-1821236626